Oil base vs water base

I am an artist. I do wall murals and paint almost anything on almost anything. I use ALL mediums of paint and I can tell you that you never put water-base over oil-base...just the opposite. Save the oil-base for last.
You are an artist not a professional painter and not correct, latex is used every day on houses, old houses with oil on them with no issues if surfaces are prepped. What, did you think everybody strips their exteriors of old oil to make it adhere, go back to painting murals.
I didn't say artwork was the only kind of painting I do. My brother in law OWNS a paint store and I also do my own painting inside and outside of my house.
Have you ever put latex paint on top of slick oil based paint? Try that and see how well and how long it stays on. Better still, ask someone at a paint store who deals with decking, wall and woodworking paints on a daily basis.
It CAN be done, but you do need to prime oil base paints before using water base paints on top of them. Otherwise it will not stay well. I didn't make this up, it's a fact.
"IF surfaces are prepped" were your exact words but NOTHING was mentioned about prepping in the original question.
I do not intend to argue about it. I am nicer than that. Do as you please!
m Ransley wrote:

bamabomb wrote:

Your original "question" was:
"I can tell you that you never put water-base over oil-base...just the opposite. Save the oil-base for last."
Please give the product name and manufacturer of one major national brand of oil-based topcoat paint whose labelling recommends or even allows application on top of an existing water-based finish.
bamabomb wrote:

I have a porch that is painted with water-based (latex) paint.
You are telling me I can apply an oil-based paint on top of that?? Please give me the name of one such product.
Any oil based exterior paint will cover latex and stay on without any pre-treatment. I also paint furniture (some of which will be on HGTV this fall) and even though I had rather see finished wood, I will paint it if it'a what the customer wants. Painted furniture sells. In order to rest my case and the only wat to prove my point is this: Paint a piece of wood with ANY latex paint...two coats, then paint a piece with 2 coats of ANY oil based paint or oil based enamel. Then put 2 coats of oil paint over the latex and 2 coats of Oil base paint over the latex (water base). After the two pieces are dry, see which pain will scratch off easily. It's like painting water based paint on a mirror when you paint it over the slick oil based finish...see how long it will stay on a mirror. YES, you can put oil based paint over water based paint without any pre-treatment. Call Sherwin Williams or Benjamen Moore. Ether Jones wrote:

bamabomb wrote:

Please provide the name of ONE nationally-available exterior oil-based paint whose labelling allows application over a pre-existing latex topcoat without any pre-treatment.
Thank you.
PS: I have no idea why anyone would even want to fool with oil based paints to begin with when they make so many nice exterior water based polyurathanes that will protect decks etc...and there's also water seals that are water based. The clean up for oil base is far too much trouble. I even use a satin finish latex for woodwork...IF I want wood painted instead of stained. If stained, I use Johnson's wax for the final finish, but satin poly or gloss poly in water base can be used over water base stains. Sorry some don't like my answers but they have come through 50 years of experience that started with pamphlets from the paint stores over the years and advice from BIL who has benn in the paint business 40 years. I have been painting for 64 years. When in doubt, just go ahead and do it your way. Ether Jones wrote:

I have an exterior set of stairs with cedar treads and risers, and I'm having trouble getting them to hold a coat of paint. (The rest of the structure is painted battleship gray so the stairs need to be painted also, or it won't look right).
These stairs see full sun, wind, rain, snow, and heavy foot traffic.
I have completely disassembled the treads and risers and sanded down to bare new wood, and stored in my garage so it stays dry while I try to figure out what to do.
What would you recommend? Please give specific product names and any special application suggestions that might help make this project successful.
Thanks.
Ether, if you are really serious (sorry, I thought you were following Chuckler in the jokster part of the posts) I would call a local paint store and ask them about painting wthe steps with a good marine paint. It's expensive, but well worth the cost. It's what they use on boats and stays on for year in the water. They might have a better, less expensive option for you, but that is one solution. Any paint store anywhere will be able to get it for you even if they don't normally carry it. I built steps to my atrium door and I painted them with ltex paint and the put 3 coats of clear polyurathane on them. It's been there 2 years but will need another coat or two next year. I will also add some Thompsons water seal..that's what I used in a cracking concrete fountain 2 years ago also and it still holds ater just fine. There are so many good products out there and your paint dealer knows them all. All I know is what works for me. I didn't mean to sound sharp with YOU....again, sorry! Good luck with your project. Ether Jones wrote:

Ever hear of KILZ primer?? (its new) If I had 64 years painting experience I would NEVER argue with the "rookies" and "unexperienced" on the news group. I love the qoute of the week: "When in doubt, just go ahead and do it your way!!" (I will remember this one the rest of my life)
bamabomb wrote:

Yes, I use KILZ when applying acrylic paint over oil based, but if I put oil over acrylic I don't. The orginal question made no mention of using any kind of primer. I often use Fresh Start if I am painting over a surface someone has used an oil based paint on first. Kilz isn't new. My BIL has had KILZ for years in his store...and yes, anyone who doesn't trust what you say and prefers to do it his own way should indeed do just that. You don't have to listen to anyone you don't wish to. Advice is worth exactly what it costs. Life is short, do as you please. (That's a better quote) chuckster wrote:

I found this in one of my pamphlets that came with a bucket of paint I use wall paint for my wall murals...some people want Alkyds, some want latex, usuall after hearing the difference in price.

What I THINK does not matter. All I KNOW is what has worked for me all these years. As far as painting the exterior of a whole house, I have never done that, but I do know that the older the previous coat on the house, the easier it is to use latex paint because of the chalk effect. Oil paint is not advised in that case unless primed first, but I believe the question was not about the exterior of a house, but a deck...??? The best thing the painter can do is call a paint store about decking products. That's a lot easier than argueing about it. Painter, call your paint store. I will continue as I have for so long. It works very well for me.
bamabomb wrote:

I found this in one of my pamphlets that came with a bucket of paint I use wall paint for my wall murals...some people want Alkyds, some want latex, usuall after hearing the difference in price.

What I THINK does not matter. All I KNOW is what has worked for me all these years. As far as painting the exterior of a whole house, I have never done that, but I do know that the older the previous coat on the house, the easier it is to use latex paint because of the chalk effect. Oil paint is not advised in that case unless primed first, but I believe the question was not about the exterior of a house, but a deck...??? The best thing the painter can do is call a paint store about decking products. That's a lot easier than argueing about it. Painter, call your paint store. I will continue as I have for so long. It works very well for me.
bamabomb wrote:

What a bunch of crap bablebomb, Latex is painted over old homes with oil everyday with 100% sucess, you Bablebomb, know knothing about the paint business, you just bable crap.
Chuckler, I don't paint house exteriors, but I don't think that was the subject. yes you can put anything over anything IF you prep first but prepping was not mentioned either. Call it whatever you like ***I*** don't have to paint walls, wooswork, steps, decks or anything very often. Mine lasts a loooooong time and that's what I'm after. If YOU don't like what I say....now, who really cares? there's a little button......
To the two of you who are trying to do a good job on your deck and your steps, good luck.
To you who m Ransley wrote: