Ohhhh that smell

We have a new home of about 2 months (new septic etc.. also) and we were caught in that tropical storm mess yesterday which dropped about 2 inches of rain on our newly, still strawed yard. Yesterday and last night in the master bathroom only we are getting a very bad (like raw sewage) smell from the shower or toilet area. Their is no backup into either or any sign of it but it smells really bad. When we woke this morning either we had become immune or the smell is no longer that strong. Any idea what's going on here.
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.

Doug Kanter wrote:

Didn't he say "septic"? If so, why tell him about municipal sewer systems?
Methinks he's got a venting problem which is sucking traps dry.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

<->
Because right or wrong, Kanter just has to say something.

Yeah...I guess you're right. Yawn............
Doug Kanter wrote:

Well guys, we found the source of the smell.

I guess you've never been doing 12 things at once, read something to fast, and reacted incorrectly. Must be great being perfect, eh?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Oh okay. I did do something wrong - once.
As Jeff says this is with a septic system. Is their anything I can check with this or should I just contact the people who installed it?

Regardless whether a septic system or sewer connection, I would have thought the traps in the drains would prevent fumes from entering the home. Ensuring that the traps are full of water is the first thing I would check.
On Fri 08 Jul 2005 12:48:20p, Bryan Martin wrote in alt.home.repair:

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
Yeah, as usual, Doug Kanter is giving advice, without even having a clue.

Just a WAG, without being able to eyeball your place, but is perhaps the bathroom in question on a "slab floor" and maybe all that rain is pushing something up out of the ground around a toilet flange or a shower drain not properly sealed to the slab? That might let a little foul smelling ground water come up around it and out from under the toilet base or from under the tub.
When our house was built for us 20 years ago, the basement guest room bath had a big hole in the slab hidden under its tub, and we had a problem with ground water coming up through it. The builder had it done over right fort us, but wasn't very happy about that as the subcontractor who did the original job had disappeared by the time the leak started a couple of months after we moved in. <G>
If the toilet bowl has water in it at a normal level, it's pretty hard to see how any kind of gasses could be getting up through that, but the shower drain might be improperly trapped.
Things which "go away by themselves" usually come back by themselves. If it happens again, try putting one of those floppy rubber disk stoppers over the shower drain to see what that does. If it stops the smell, I'd suggest you contact a professional. If the words "new home" in your OP mean "just built", I'd hope you'd have some leverage with the builder, but you might need to try and get some assistance from the local board of health/plumbing inspector as sewage gasses are not something very healthy to live with.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

of
from
it
While picking the brain of the guys installing my sister's septic system, I was told that sometimes, during hurricanes or strong storms, the drastic change in air pressure will sometimes either suck or blow the water from the traps (don't remember which).
Since the smell seems to be going away, this may be the case.
You can tell for sure whether it's the smell going away, or your getting used to it, by leaving the house for a couple hours, then returning, and taking a whiff. If it's less, (and this time you know what to smell for) then it's certainly going away, and you probably have nothing to worry about. As you use your shower and toilet, the water in the traps will get replaced.
Pagan

Suck or Blow ???? What is this, some sort of house in the gay villages of San Francisco?

Or the rat is fully rotted.

Or stop breathing for an hour

Or you can just turn them on. You really dont have to shit or piss or take a bath.

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:22:15 GMT, "Bryan Martin"

Dude
Your shit stinks !!!!
Damn, I can smell it all the way here..........