Offtopic - TV channel remote question

Sorry if this is off topic, but I assume someone on here knows the answer.

I just bought a new tv with a remote. I have never owned a tv with remote before. They were always old clunkers with click tuners.

I got the new tv all setup, but there is no mention in the manual about what one button is for.

On the remote, there are the numbers 0 thru 9. OK, I know I press the 0 and the 4 for channel 4, or the

1 and the 9 for channel 19.

But, there is one more button that says +100 on it (exactly as I typed it). Pressing it does nothing, and like I said the manual does not mention it. This button is right next to the last numerical digit on the remote.

I'm getting up in my years, and this hi-tech stuff tends to get confusing. It dont help when they dont mention it in the manual either.

Anyone know?

PS. I have an antenna on the roof, and a VCR. No cable, no satellite no DVD. I live out in the boonies so I cant get none of that stuff.

Thank U

Joe

Reply to
joe

This is turtle.

From what i can remember it is for selecting channels over 99 like channel

125. You push 100+ the the next two numbers. You push 100+ then 2 then 5 = Channel 125.

Most TV stations are well below 100 or less.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

As the "Turtle" said it is for selecting c hannels above 99 - if you are connected to cable you may have channel at 100 and above.

If you don't have your tv set up to display these channels pushing

+100, even if you try to push other numbers will have no affect (if you used the auto-setup feature if your set has it.).
Reply to
avoidspam

That 100 button for digital cable or satellite .

Reply to
PoCambo

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Conventional TV tuners are incapable of handling digital signals. The higher numbers are for analog systems with more bandwidth. The state of technology makes it impractical for cable operators to expand the analog plant. Instead they place the added channels on a digital tier and force customers to pay more for the service and a digital decoder.

So the +100 button is of no use in most cases unless you want to receive OTA UHF stations with the tuner set for CATV. For channels 14-44, add 51 to get the cable channel number, for 45 and up, add 56.

Reply to
Bob