Offset flange on an iron pipe?

Hello,

I'm re-doing a half-bath, and the rough-in for the toilet is 14 inches but the toilet we want to use is a standard 12 inches (there aren't a lot of styles available for 14 inch toilets, alas).

Installing an offset flange seems to be a pretty straightforward job -- if the pipes are PVC. But my house is old, and the refuse pipe is iron. Is it still possible to install an offset flange? Should I call a professional? Should I accept a 14 inch rough-in?

Thanks for your advice!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Riley

Not a big fan of the offset flanges.

Do you have the old lead style connecter from the flange to the soil pipe?

It is the connection that will be the problem. Might be easier to build out the wall section with a short wall and top it off with a shelf.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I have cast iron for one bath which is on a slab. I needed to move the toilet a few inches to the right to make the remodel work. I used an offset PVC flange with a piece of straight PVC attached and going into the cast iron. I used one of the rubber attachment "gaskets" to make it all tight. The hardest part was cutting the PVC about 3" below the top of the floor. I obviously couldn't get to the pipe from the underside. So, I used a 3" cutoff wheel attached to a extender. I used a router running at very slow speed (using a Variac). The router table was flat on the old cast flange and slowly but surely, I was able to cut the pipe and remove the flange and about 3" of cast pipe. It was a lot of work for

2", but the powder room was so small, it made a remodel possible. The room now looks big, even though n>> Hello,
Reply to
Art Todesco

Thus spake Art Todesco:

You used a router with a cut-off wheel bolted to a shaft extension driven by a router, powered through a Variac? Wow. Pretty creative.

Why drive it at slow speed?

Reply to
DaveC