office building bathroom tile building code

We have 4 bathrooms, each measuring about 8'x8', which we will like to install 18" tile floors. I heard from a contractor that the tile edging pieces that act as the baseboard on the walls need to be at least 4" high and MUST have a bullnose where it meets with the floor tiles.
Do such edging pieces really require the bullnose? Or can I just use my floor tiles as my baseboard tiles?
This is in Tustin, CA.
THanks

Maybe you mean a COVE at the base? The idea is that you don't have a sharp corner that's difficult to clean...

The type of tile you use in that situation is called "Sanitary Cove".
It has a bullnose at the top to go against the wall and it tapers down to the floor leaving nowhere for dirt and germs to accumulate.

But they do anyway...(just go to a gas station bathroom)