Off Topic - News Media question

Page 1 of 2
Sorry about this off topic post, but I am not sure where else to ask.
I am looking on the web for more photos of the New Orleans levees to better understand how they were built. All of the major news media websites seem to be dominated with these online movies instead of still photos. I am rural and can only get dialup internet, and those movies do not play at all, or are only broken up audio with no video. Often they even cause my computer to crash.
Do any of you know of a news type website that still uses just plain still photos and html text? Why these websites have to make everything so damn complicated makes no sense to me. I guess the news is only for the wealthy these days, (those that can afford the latest computers and most expensive internet service).
Thanks
Mark
Flood gates and more...
http://varsity-nj.com/travel/msy2002/page2.htm
http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pao/whoweare/structures.asp

If you are looking for details videotaped news stories will never suffice, if you really want to get an in-depth understanding of this (or any topic) you are much better off finding and reading text articles.
It is just a shortcoming of TV/video news. Someone once gave Walter Cronkite the entire script of his Half Hour network newscast typed up as a front page of the New York Times(it all fit on the one page) . The point was that it just is not in-depth.
I am not against TV news, but it has it's strength (nothing can match it's ablity to convey emotion) and it's weeknesses (not in depth).

I find the greatest weakness is its bias. I fear that the extended coverage of the looting, the reports of rescuers being shot at and the tales of rape in a crowded area may make people reluctant to help.

-
Amy Johnson wrote:

Are you reluctant to help?
I find myself questioning sending hard earned money to people who don't appear to be able to help themselves. I did make a contribution at church this morning. I have earned the funds, I don't rape, steal, loot, or rely on others to do things that I can do myself. If I lived in an area that was threatened with an impending, nearly predictable disaster and I was told to evacuate, I would evacuate.
I also do not want to open my home to people who are looting. They do not need plasma TVs. I can almost understand food, water and diapers. I agree that it was a horrible storm. The reports we saw did not spin the survivors as quality individuals.
I just find the media to be very biased and it seems to put a unfortunate spin on a story. The newspersons should preface opinions with a disclaimer.

-
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Here are a few links that will help in your research:
http://www.scripophily.net/loleconeworl.html http://homepages.uc.edu:8000/~maynarjb/105/NewOrleans/new_orleans_photo_gallery.htm http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pao/visitor/index.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_Hurricane_Katrina_on_New_Orleans
How they were built is not as important as what they were built on and what they were designed to do. Just as an airbag is not a guarantee that you won't die in a crash, a levee is not a guarantee that water won't top it or topple it.
Try google but then click on the images tab or try the news tab. For example http://images.google.com/images?svnum &hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=levees+%22New+Orleans%22 has some interesting pictures of levees.

Thanks to all that replied, and I also stumbled over another excellent link. This is a complete HUGE .jpg picture of the entire levee system, including map of city, levee construction photos and more. Highly recommended site if you are trying to learn more about the levees and all that happened in New Orleans.
Here is the site: http://www.nola.com/hurricane/popup/nolalevees_jpg.html
Mark
-----------------------

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Can't help. I too watched news cast after news cast where they ramble on and on about the levees but neglect to show any real pictures of them. its like they are forbidden or something. Which reminds me, did you try google maps?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
On 9/1/2005 2:14 AM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

NOAA high definition aerial photos of Mississippi after Katrina. Their other photos page seems to be unaccessible (probably due to high traffic) http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2495.htm
--
Bill

On 9/1/2005 10:53 AM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

20 more aerial photos of Mississippi damage from a lower altitude: http://www.wcnc.com/ Scroll down to "Pictures of the devastated Mississippi coast"
--
Bill

OMG!!!!! - almost?!!!!! Let's see what you do w/o food and water for days with babies and small children.
Many couldn't get out because they didn't have transportation. Many were very old. Many were in wheelchairs.
Most people were law abiding. They did what they were told and went to the sports dome. NO ONE came to help. Bush left them there to die.
Its da jackeeettt wrote:

It does seem strange that he didn't come by with his pickup and take them home with him.
But then, neither did you...
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know

No, Bush didn't leave them there. The governor has to request help from Bush.

Correct, if you need help you got to ask for it otherwise it's their fault.

Here's one of the articles.
http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/4/124905.shtml

How would you know? Answer: You don't know, unless you'll admit to stalking me.

That is some fake "news" site that you made up.

from
I really know nothing about the veracity of the article, but it does look good...