off topic: new car advice for senior

You think YOU have "affirmative action"? It's just as bad (at least) up here - and so are the unions. Try to fire a no-good after they have passed probation ----. But on the whole we have an excellent, well educated workforce..

The important jobs are still done by those with the experience skill and ability - the credit just goes elsewhere-----------

Reply to
clare

My last three cars were declared to be absolutely something to be avoided by Consumer Reports. I would have bought another Geo (rebranded Suzuki) but Suzuki's car business was fading fast by then. I did buy another Yaris after a snowplow ate the first one.

Maybe I'm easy to please. I've only owned one car I was dissatisfied with, an Audi. To be fair, that was back in the '70s when Volkswagen was trying to figure out how to build a front wheel drive, water cooled vehicle.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm easy to please, too, I think. I love my van, but she's getting old. My kids were raised in that van and there's lots of memories there, too. My son and hubby keep telling me to get another vehicle, but so far I haven't found one I could afford and LIKED at the same time! lol

Reply to
Muggles

Kia has a 100k, 10 year drive train warranty as standard on all their models. For an additional $2K or so (depending on model) that can be extended to a factory bumper to bumper warranty. A good deal if you tend to keep cars for a long time. Whine alot and you can even get a road hazard warranty thrown in.

John

Reply to
John

Never bought an extended warranty. What you are stating is a 40,000 mile warranty, possibly with deductibles I've not had a car in the past

25 years that cost me more than a couple of hundred for repairs in that time. I'd have pissed away a lot of money.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah - we used to say Canad made political jokes and the USA elected them - all that has changed since we elected Stevie boy!!. But yes, the "dummification of America" has spread like most ailments do. They start on the American left coast and radiate east and North.

Usually hits us about 10 years after the USA, but it gets here. Mabee if you elect your political joke and he (Trump) builds the "fence" it will slow down the infection??

Reply to
clare

One of those Audi 100s that punctured it's own tires when you parked them overnight (when the springs broke)?

We had one sitting on the lot that destroyed 3 tires before it was sold.

I owned a Pontiac Firenza - a rebranded Vauxhaul Viva HC - everybody said they were junk - "any f'rez'a yours aint no friends of mine" so I got it REAL cheap. Friend was going to trade it (1972) on a new Lada the first year they came to Canada - 1979 - so the Firenza was only 7 years old - and it was a "leftover" '72 - sold late in '73, so it was rally only six years old - and they were only going to give him $75 for it with about 40,000 miles on it ( friend's wife drove it between London Ontario and Kitchener going to teacher's college).

I bought it from him for something like $76 - and I still had it when he was on his third Lada. I sold it to my new wife's friend/neighbour for a few hundred dollars and she drove it another 7 years.

Parts were dirt cheap and available from GM dealers across Canada. Clutch pedal broke (cable clutch) and a new one was something like $6.00 - less than it would have cost to have it welded.

Reply to
clare

Unlike Mitsubishi, the 10 year warranty isn't the only way they can sell a Kia ----- There are few cars that I wouldn't call GOOD - so I guess there ARE some "bad" cars. Still better than "good" cars 30 years ago,

Reply to
clare

It never did that. The plug wires would fail every 15,000 miles. No graceful degradation, it just wouldn't start. I kept a set in the trunk. Getting the windshield wiper to turn off sometimes required pulling a relay out from under the dash. It wasn't really the cars fault, but it had Autobahn gearing right about the time the idiots in DC declared a 55 mph speed limit. Then it overheated one frosty morning. I guess antifreeze was optional. There weren't any major problems just the water torture of minor annoyances.

When we divorced my wife got the Audi and I kept the Lincoln. I shouldn't have treated the woman so poorly. The paint was starting to fall off before she traded it in on a Rabbit and got $300 for it. She called me up and asked if that wasn't too low. I told her to take the deal and not look back.

Reply to
rbowman

In the sixties and seventies we had a LOT of them come up here. Boys didn't want to go to 'Nam came up in droves.

Reply to
clare

It was Scott Walker who wanted to build the 4000 mile northern fence. But he dropped out. God had told him to run, and then God told him to drop out. God, what a woman, always toying with these Republican crazies.

Reply to
sms

A lot of Republicans threatened to go to Canada to escape Obamacare, which they claimed was national health care. I guess that they were not too clear about how Canada worked.

We lost our Toyota factory in California to Canada because of the cost of providing health care to workers is much less in Canada.

Canada might want to consider building that 4000 mile wall in case Trump or Cruz gets elected president.

Reply to
sms

...when Walker heard about the Tex/Mex wall he said, "I can Trump that!"

Reply to
bob_villa

One more thing to try. Covering whole CONUS with dome. Should check their IQ proper.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oct. 19 is federal election day up here. We're under cons. for 10 years. If they get reelected, Canada will be no longer Canada we used to know. No where in the world I can see states man like politician any where these days.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I see that it was uploaded to snopes.com, but I can't find an evaluation of its authenticity by snopes.

I have US-citizen family members who lived in Canada long enough that they could obtain Canadian citizenship before retiring to the States -- just so that if they were faced with serious health issues they could get cheaper, or even free (free to them, that is), treatment in Canada.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

One thing for sure, Harper is no statesman or diplomat. Too bad Trudeau and Mulchair are not either.

Reply to
clare

They lose the health care if they are out of the country more than 6 months - then need to be back in for at least 3 before they are eligible again.

Reply to
clare

On the bright side, that Toyota (NUMMI) factory is now building Teslas, albeit with considerably fewer employees.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Now Audi has self destructing timing belt at 60K miles...?

Reply to
Tony Hwang