off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 3 of 16
On 09/29/2015 09:59 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Is it an interference engine?
On 09/25/2015 09:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, it's the TDI diesel. The market is unpredictable but I don't see why that would impact the gas engine models, which are the majority in the US market.
All the manufacturers game the system, VW was just a little sneakier. Despite all the whining at least VW didn't kill anybody, unlike Government Motors ignition switches or the lowest bidder exploding airbags.
On 09/25/2015 10:24 PM, rbowman wrote:

VW was simply doing what many people who support what they fondly imagine to be "the free enterprise system" and who oppose government regulation say corporations are obligated to do: make as much money for their shareholders as possible.
Perce

I'd much rather have the free enterprise system selling me what I want (fuel mileage and performance) rather than government telling me what to do.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How come, don't want to fiddle with your car? You can reproprogram ECU for example. You modify any part of the car to your heart's content. Today's cars are more electronics than mechanics. Like Volvo has more than 20 microprocessors controlling the car one way or the other. Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, drive train, collision avoidance system.... You name it.
On 9/27/2015 3:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I'm picking up my new car on Tuesday. The electronics are incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbjdmw8D9-Y
I have no plans to bail out the roof though.
On 9/27/2015 1:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Until they fail! :< I dread having to deal with one of umpteen little processors deciding to have a nervous breakdown at some inopportune time. And, despite my education, training, tools, etc. being HELPLESS to effect a repair, on my own! (short of "replacement")
Also, there seems to be pretty compelling evidence that these things have been designed on the assumption of a "friendly" (not hostile) operating environment. Sort of like the folks who design insulin pumps and never consider that someone might want to maliciously *hack* a device which is responsible for the short term health of a human -- just to prove they *can*!
(ditto pace makers, etc.)

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 14:15:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

And a hand cranked starter, just to be safe.
On 09/26/2015 02:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So Joe Wagenkaeufer is supposed to be able to determine for himself the level of air pollution a modern car will produce? Obviously he can't rely on any figures the manufacturer publishes.
Perce
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:37 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The book "unsafe at any speed" did NOT kill the Corvair. It actually prolonged it's life. What killed the Corvair was the Camaro. It was a LOT cheaper to build, and could command a higher price, so more profit. GM hung on with the corvair untill 1969 - 2 or 3 years after bringing out the Camaro -
Unsafe at any speed was published in 1965, after the "problem" with the corvair had already been solved in production.. (1964 was the last year of "first generation" Corvairs with the same rear suspension geometry as the VW and Porsche of the same time period.) The 1965 to 69 Corvairs shared the same rear suspension geometry as the Corvette.
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:22:30 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The sales of the Corvair dropped significantly just after September 1966, when the new Camaro came out. It was less expensive and was available with the VERY healthy 302 Z28 option - which took a lot of sales from the Turbocharged Monza..
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 20:39:40 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

Not only did the corvair not share "many" parts, the power train parts were quite expensive to build. The engine block, heads, and cyls were all very different in manufacturing concept to ANY other north American engine and were much more expensive to manufacture than even a high output V8
The transaxle was totally unique as well.
On 09/25/2015 08:23 AM, Don Y wrote:

My impression is the problem is with the diesels, with about 450,000 in the US. I can't find a breakdown but I don't think they've sold that many New Beetles so I assume the bulk of the TDIs are in Jettas followed by Golfs.
Europe is where it will get ugly.
On 9/25/2015 7:15 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yup. The fallout here will be "by association"... folks ignorant of details and just seizing on the words "VW" and "cheating".
You also have a lot more voices and axes to grind in Europe. Lots of "officials"/politicians to answer to -- and folks who want to make political hay of this sort of thing.
If I was running the show, I'd go out of my way to *quickly* clean house and uncover and disclose EVERYTHING that MIGHT be pertinent. I'd even publish the source code so third parties could examin it to identify the extent of the "problem" as well as being able to "rebuild it" (i.e., take a blank ECU and install software that is, theoretically, identical to the software described in the source code listings to PROVE that the source code tells the entire story).
Yeah, this is considered trade secret material. But, your pants are down around your ankles, time to suck it up and take your medicine! (other car manufacturers undoubtedly have the essence of any of the *legitimate* algorithms already sorted out... you're not really giving away much other than your pride -- which you already lost when you committed/admitted the offense!) Get it over and done with. Don't give anyone the opportunity to claim you should have been *more* open ("Hey, we gave you the source code, what more do you want??")
rbowman wrote:

Tourag and Passat have TDI models.
On 09/26/2015 01:26 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't have the numbers handy but I believe those are also a minor slice of VWs American market.
rbowman wrote:

Some VW cars resemble Audi counter part. Tourag is pretty nice SUV, built sturdy. Neighbor has one with V8 and I'd rather drive this one than big Lincoln Navigator. Eventually we'll end up with one car when one of us loses driver's license. I am sure that'll be me. Wife does not care what brand or what type car as long as it's seat fits her and it is AWD no matter what. Everyone in my family drives AWD vehicles. Jeep, Subaru, Acura. On top of that we have to fit snow/ice tires in winter, she insists. Tire change over is my job having air tools and good compressor but some 18" tires are getting heavier by the year. I just passed medical to extend the license for 5 more years. After that medical every year. Went to niece's wedding who is marrying E. Indian. Had Hindu ceremony which was interesting. She is a PhD in forensic science working at RCMP crime lab. Boy is Nuclear safety engineer with MBA, interesting couple. Family gained one more engineer, Way too many engineers and MD in the family, not a lawyer yet.

Siesel VWs were 40% of North American sales in a recent month, from what I read somewhere recently.
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

OK I'll try again, Wiesel VWs were about 40% of the North American market. (Those 2 letters are right next to each other too --- Darn that "fat finger syndrome" AND this old keyboard that has most of the letters pretty well worn off
On 09/27/2015 06:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can't find a current article easily but
http://www.dieselforum.org/news/u-s-clean-diesel-car-sales-increase-25-in-2014-overall-u-s-car-market-is-up-4-
“While diesel cars and pickup trucks make up only three percent of the overall U.S. vehicle market, most analysts predict continued growth in the U.S., with many believing the diesel market will double by 2018.”
This is more current:
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/volkswagen-diesel-cheating-scandal-is-good-for-hybrid-cars/
"It’s a small market—about 3 percent of the total US passenger vehicle fleet, about 7-8 million cars—but one VW dominates. In 2013, it reported it accounted for more than 70 percent of “clean diesel” passenger vehicle sales. "
Extrapolating, the 40% figure may be right.