off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 14 of 16
On 10/01/2015 02:30 PM, Don Y wrote:

I did a hand held pH/ion concentration meter using the 8048. It was fun. You knew where every damn byte was at all times. The counter top lab devices used the Z80 and I hardly knew what to do with all that space.
On 10/1/2015 8:28 PM, rbowman wrote:

I designed a Z80 box that had 16K of RAM that was EXPANDABLE IN 6KB (six) increments! (think about how I did *that*! :>)
On 10/01/2015 01:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had a 68000 development board when they first came out, but missed the 6800, 6809, HC08, HC11 and the rest. No particular reason, I just went down the Intel/Zilog path instead. In later years I went with Atmel rather than PIC. Again, no particular reason.

addressing with no offsets - no reverse polish notation.
On 10/2/2015 10:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The 32K was better, still! None of the address/data register schizophrenia!
On 10/02/2015 11:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Did I mention I've done a bit of FORTH programming :) I even have an old HP 16C programmer's calculator. Great fun leaving that lying around and watching someone try to use it. For extra credit, leave it set to hex. 5 5 + A ???? WTF?
On 10/01/2015 12:49 PM, Don Y wrote:

They tried. I was somewhat pissed when IBM put the Good Housekeping Seal of Approval on the 8088 piece of crap rather than the Z8000. Turns out Exxon had bought a major stake in Zilog and IBM was in a pissing contest with Exxon so the Z8000 was never on the table. The 68008 had been considered but IBM didn't think Motorola could reliably supply parts. At that time Motorola had a bad rep of hanging you out to dry if they got a massive contract from the auto industry.
I still have a Captain Zilog t-shirt around here someplace.

A well earned reputation too.

My first imprssion of both Mac and Wiindoze was : "Anything that takes that much memory and runs that slow has something wrong with it"
Back when 4K was a lot of ram.
On 10/1/2015 12:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The first Reading Machine (KRM) had 8KB (4KW) of "core". <http://larashapiro.com/category/scrapbook/
Granted, it was a dedicated device but far more complex than many pieces of bloatware currently offered (where most of the code is spent drawing pretty GUI's)
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 11:08:18 -0400, "Robert Green"

was doing good to get 8 - and soon had 24s running stable, and selling for less than "Big Blue" sold their 8. We also had CDRom long before IBM did - as well as providing larger hard drives. Lots of features that pushed "big Blue" ahead. The Tier 2 mfgs were also technically "clones" - including AST, Packard Bell, Compaq, HP, Sanyo, etc.
All Trillium clones passed ALL compatability tests.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

method on logic circuits. Then water cooled back panel, the CDC made 96 layer back panel water cooled. I spent many years at local university campus. They were multi vendor user for political reasons. DEC, IBM, CDC, Honeywell. We site EICs were always got along very well. We almost cross trained ourselves among us, LOL! We used to have a French Bull made mid-level box which used CMOS VLSI using CML circuitry. One board was drawing like 35 Amps. We used to call it welding machine. That CMOS caused lot of headaches caused by static from mis-handling it. Then strict anti-static measure was implemented which was strictly reinforced. If a guy was found touching the board with bare hands without glove, strap and mat, he could be fired on the spot. You know the story about Zenith laptops during desert storm 1? What is your back? Process control? Or telemetry? One box solution for whatever?

computers. My main job at Trillium was putting CD Rom onto networks back before Novel knew what a CDRom was, and Unix didn't have a clue either. The company I worked for was at one time the largest reseller of hard drives for IBM PC and compatible computers (this was before the XT) and the largest distributor of CD ROM drives in Canada as well - We were the first distributor of Hitachi CD ROM drives in Canada - We put CD Rom towers into university and medical libraries across Canada. We also built premium clone computers - with 2 year warranty.
Then the owner hired a "harvard MBA" type manager who wanted to "grow the company" - and also wanted it for himself. The business was mismanaged to death in several stages.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I always liked Plextor SCSI drives. I still have some on my desktop. It has 3 optical drives Blue ray writer, etc. which is handy. I still use Panasonic CD-RAM too for small back ups.
On 10/01/2015 04:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I worked for a company where the CEO's son was a Harvard MBA. The company had over expanded right before the plastics industry took a hit with the oil embargo and was having problems. Sonny boy was brought in to fix things. It took him about a year to fix us into Chapter 11.
Prior to that he'd helped another company. I don't think it was Jim Fixx but there was some fairly famous runner who had started a couple of runners' stores in Boston. The kid helped him expand the operation into bankruptcy too.
On 10/01/2015 11:38 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yah, that's quite common. Dad starts a business, devotes all his time and energy to it and ignores his kids. As we all know, ignored children are often under-performers. Few people can have their cake and eat it too.
On 10/02/2015 03:12 AM, Jack wrote:

The owner of the first company I worked for had been an engineer at GE, took an idea GE didn't think was worth pursuing, and turned it into a good sized enterprise. Son #1 turned out to have the hobby of raping middle aged women in parking lots. He was never found legally guilty but decided to live 1200 miles away from upstate NY. #2 wasn't doing too well in a junior college meat cutting course so he dropped out and became a VP. #3 was actually human and stayed away from the circus.
The old man drove his Lincoln into the garage one night, closed the door, and forgot to turn the engine off. I wondered if he'd been happier just drawing a GE check.

That the soldiers used them as sandbags?
--
Bobby G.

On 10/01/2015 01:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A moment of silence for DEC...
On 10/1/2015 8:31 PM, rbowman wrote:

(sigh) I had a 3000 AXP that I *swear* you could use for a jack stand, in a pinch! Damn thing almost required two people to carry it (exaggeration)! 256 bit wide memory -- back in the 90's!