off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 1 of 16
Sorry for off topic -------------------
Hi
A friend of mine who is a senior citizen and want to buy a new car to repla ce her standard old car. She is very good driver with very clean driving hi story. Her current car is Volkswagen golf. She is thinking of buying a new Volkswagen golf but automatic of course (easier to drive). Do you have any other recommendation on which car (brand name) she should consider. Too man y options and technologies are not really required, just basic stuff but mo st be automatic.
Thank you in advance.
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 11:39:02 AM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

history. Her current car is Volkswagen golf. She is thinking of buying a ne w Volkswagen golf but automatic of course (easier to drive). Do you have an y other recommendation on which car (brand name) she should consider. Too m any options and technologies are not really required, just basic stuff but most be automatic.

avoid any VW vehicle their resale value will probably take a big hit for a generation.
besides all auto makers need to watch vw go nearly out of business so they dont try to pull stuff like cheating on air pollution
On 9/24/2015 11:59 AM, bob haller wrote:

VW may be the best buy at the right price. Depending on the buyers age, resale may be meaningless. If the car is never sold, who cares?
Good chance it can be had a a large discount just to move it.
On 9/24/2015 11:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

OTOH, there's no guarantee that "fixed" you'll want to drive it!
A dealer here purchased a bunch of BLACK (interior and exterior -- we live in Sunny AZ!), vinyl seats, manual tranny/windows/etc. sh*tboxes with NO ACbrrr...
For a song.
And, couldn't get rid of them! No matter *how* he sang!

of it's competition. My friend bought his Corolla S, loaded to the gills, for $8000 less than a base VW Golf TDI. That surprized him as much as the fact that the Toyota was in just about all ways, at least the match for the VW. The only thing he missed was the torque of the Diesel.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If she were my mother I'd buy a Subaru Impreza for her.
On 9/24/2015 11:38 AM, leza wang wrote:

I'm a Subaru Forester fan.
Live on a hill and all Subaru's come with standard AWD.
Height is almost perfect for us seniors as it is easy to get in and out of.
As others point out, VW is in a heap of trouble and probably best avoided.
On 9/24/2015 11:29 AM, Frank wrote:

I've been wanting to buy a VB Beetle, but not a new one. Are the older models (by a few years) a bad idea, too?
--
Maggie

On 9/24/2015 9:48 AM, Muggles wrote:

"older models (by a few years)" is still a "new" (redesigned, not "classic") beetle, right?
The cars named in the recent disclosure are sure to take a hit -- in the short term and possibly even longer. A lot will depend on the sort of fix that VW puts forward and how it affects the perceived value of those vehicles. My hunch is that any *cheap* fix (e.g., a software upgrade) will result in a vehicle's performance falling below what their owners (and prospective resale owners) would be happy with.
[If this is NOT the case, then why would VW have shot itself in the foot so forcefully? Their actions suggest that strict compliance with the letter of the law would have affected fuel efficiency or overall performance in a way that would have caused potential buyers to "look elsewhere"]
How much spillover to other models NOT named is up for debate. Note BMW already took some heat over *suspicion* that they might be similarly cheating (no evidence to suggest this!).
People who are fearful by nature will probably lump all VW products into that category; perhaps even all diesel offerings there *and* from other vendors.
If your question concerns your potential *exposure* if you opt to purchase a used bug, I'd not be too concerned. OTOH, if you were wondering how this would affect the purchase price of said bug, it will depend on how much fear-mongering the media heaps on others "competing" for that used vehicle that *you* want.
Craigslist reports that prices for used VW's are already down ~20%. VW is expected to have a drop in sales for the month of Sept while most other automakers are posting *record* sales figures. How long that persists is anybody's guess...
On 9/25/2015 9:23 AM, Don Y wrote:

With the prices of new Beetles, I can't really afford one right now, but if the prices of used (automatic - not diesel) Beetles come down I may easily be able to afford one of those.
Is the problem being discussed with VW only with diesels? I haven't read every post on the subject and could have missed that detail.
--
Maggie

On 9/25/2015 8:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Only diesels (currently -- and probably that's as far as it will go *at* VW). You'll have to see how "stupid" people are in sorting out that distinction, going forward.
As a single data point (with all that implies!), note that we had a neighbor with a "new bug" some years back. It was always in the shop (though I have no idea what the problems were -- these folks don't do any of their own maintenance... so, it could have been "replacing windshield wiper blades"!). They traded it out pretty early...
Why the attraction to a bug? (I can see a *classic* just for nostalgia -- surely not SAFETY! :> ) Are you looking for small? Fuel efficient? Cute? etc.
On 9/25/2015 11:18 AM, Don Y wrote:

That was my first question.

I think it's cute, different, not so small that a big husband can't sit in the passenger seat, and not so big that I feel like I'm still driving a mini-van.
--
Maggie

On 09/26/2015 09:01 PM, Muggles wrote:

You just like the little flower vase. Admit it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/automobiles/autoreviews/to-be-cute-as-a-bug-isnt-enough-anymore.html
No offense, but after VW discovered they'd built a chick car, they tried to reinvent it.
Its like the Miata. The Miata is really a competent car but it got the reputation of being a chick or gay ride and never overcame it.
On 9/26/2015 10:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

A flower vase? Where? I love flowers! :)

What can I say, I'm a chick. (◕‿◕)
--
Maggie

On 09/26/2015 10:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

You never saw those in the New Beetle? Not the new Beetle; they dropped the flowers in 2012. Little bud vase on the dashboard, sort of like a hearse. Sometimes the German mind goes off the rails. I mean what sort of manly man is going to drive a car with a damn sprig of pansies?

On 09/27/2015 06:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Kind of puny shot glass... Maybe for a chick... (ducking)
On 9/27/2015 1:55 AM, rbowman wrote:

LOL No, haven't seen the bud vase.
--
Maggie