[off topic] Glow in the dark alarm clock

Page 3 of 3

The `Radium Girls` were instructed to, assured Radium was harmless
http://www.radford.edu/wkovarik/envhist/radium.html
It killed its discoverer Marie Curie and continues to present a hazard all over the place, Forth coastline, Scotland, has radioactive hotspots from burning scrapped aircraft dials on the shore.
Tritium is very good, but expensive.
Zinc Sulphide is the dissapointing old glow in dark stuff.
Strontium Aluminate is much, much more effective, non radioactive, glows for easy 8 hours , intially brighter than tritium.
Photoluminescent is the phrase if you want it by the litre, its used as way to safety markers on things like oil rigs, smaller bits , any number of vendors like
photoluminescent
personally had good luck with poundland clocks, get the brushes while your in ;-)
Cheers Adam

Yes, my grandfathers old watch... I found it very useful when I built a Maplin geiger counter kit ~20 years ago.
--
Andrew Gabriel

The term is phosphorescent. Bit here on the topic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescent_paint#Phosphorescent_paint.

you might still find an old one, but then you get to put up with clockwork's inaccuracy and need for incessant winding.
NT

and you have to put up with the released radon-222 gas! Part of the safety advice (below link) is not to keep it on your bedside table.
http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/luminous.htm
Robert
RobertL wrote:

Not entirely. Some time ago (perhaps now 10 years) I wanted such a watch. I went through a number (agreeing with the supplier they'd come back to him if they were not really "luminous") till I tried a Sekonda. The hands were luminescent but *the dial was properly luminous*. So I wrote to Sekonda, asking how they managed this and whether they could source luminous hands. They could and did; I could not have had better service. When years later it broke they fixed it FOC, and told me that they had also replaced the battery as a courtesy.
I thought their slogan was a joke, but it's been absolutely right IME: "Beware expensive imitations".
Douglas de Lacey
Esco wrote:

The ones with crappy luminous paint are easy to get from the usual places. If you want one that really works though, you'll need spend some money and get a tritium one:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item "0571309038
A bit of digging might get you one closer to home. try Googling for Luminox, Traser or Tritium
Cheers,
Colin.
Esco wrote:

When all else fails, use the Harbor Freight free flashlight...

I don't know about that but we have an alarm clock that displays the time in red on the ceiling of our bedroom. it's not bright enough to disturb our sleep but it's great if you wake in the night and want to know what timwe it is.
See: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Regards
Jonathan

A store.