Off-topic: A good portable barbecue ?

This is a topic which has had me pissed off for about a year now.

I would like to find a good portable barbecue. I used to have one, but it got old and needed to be thrown away.

The new one I bought is from the same company is... Let's just say that it isn't too good. It's a total piece of shit.

I would like one that is easy to carry to the park and to other places. It should be able to stand up on its own, and it should seal off the ashes. It should be completely self-contained.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
The Other Harry

I like Sunbeam, but you didn't give us the name of your old one. Maybe it is the same. I don't like the plate in the new one that replaces the lava rocks, but it is still passable now that I have cooked on it for a while. I have used others, and I find they cook too hot for my style of cooking. For steaks they would be better, but I cook more chicken and fish and like the lower flame.

Use it a year or two. Toss it. Get another. Economically feasible.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler
[On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:38:41 -0700, "Desert Traveler" wrote:]

Starts with a "W".

Reply to
The Other Harry

That was the one that I don't like because it has too high a flame. Because of the high heat, for steaks, I would consider it better than a Sunbeam. For other things, I couldn't tell the meat from the lava rocks except the lava rocks cut a little easier. ;-)

I know it all has a lot to do with the way each person cooks, too. I like to cook over a lower flame. Others may prefer just the opposite. Whatever works for you.

But in the world of inexpensive portable barbecues, there are a lot of cheap knockoffs available. Any one of them or several might just be the best thing going and better than any of the brand names. Trouble is, you gotta buy one and try it. You can spend $$$ that way.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler