Off to Lowes for another appliance...

Page 1 of 2

Second one in less than a year.
Fall, 2006, bought a GE electric range. GE version of the CR "Best Buy" HotPoint, called all over, all the chains, Sears, Mom & Pops / co-ops & independents, looked through the www, the Lowes price could not be beat.
Today, a Whirlpool refrigerator that my wife wants & picked out. Called all over, all the chains, Sears, Mom & Pops / co-ops & independents, looked through the www, again the Lowes price could not be beat. $100 under the closest price, $200 under most, for the exact same unit. And it's in stock.
They must have some serious buying power.
Rob

Either that, or you work for Lowes.

after checking many times home depot and lowes have the best prices. I NEVER buy from home depot if it requires delivery. Last purchase was LAST PURCHASE EVER! They would give day but no time or even window of time for delivery:( expect me to wait all day 8 am to 8 pm for a truck: (
After complaing they promised to call before delivery, but instead delivered and then called, left fridge on porch. Previously they had their own delivey service but contracted it out:( and claimed no control of delivery people.
Lowes has company employees delivery, only nice experiences from them.
Sears has overpriced service department, same tech fixing 2 things like a washer AND dryer, gets customer a second travel charge. Well I NEVER BUY FROM RIP OFF COMPANIES! I avoid sears like the plague. Also their prices are higher too.
I bought my fridge from HD. They told me the date, time etc. Called me on the day and told me they would be there within 30 minutes. They were. Delivery guys knew their job. They were in and out in 10 minutes. That said, I can shop at either Lowes or HD..they seem the same to me.

after checking many times home depot and lowes have the best prices. I NEVER buy from home depot if it requires delivery. Last purchase was LAST PURCHASE EVER! They would give day but no time or even window of time for delivery:( expect me to wait all day 8 am to 8 pm for a truck: (
After complaing they promised to call before delivery, but instead delivered and then called, left fridge on porch. Previously they had their own delivey service but contracted it out:( and claimed no control of delivery people.
Lowes has company employees delivery, only nice experiences from them.
Sears has overpriced service department, same tech fixing 2 things like a washer AND dryer, gets customer a second travel charge. Well I NEVER BUY FROM RIP OFF COMPANIES! I avoid sears like the plague. Also their prices are higher too.

perhaps home depot has improved its delivery service in the last few years, I was LIVID they couldnt give a time window and left it on the porch.
if any company pulls that again I am telling them to come pick it up and demand a refund!

perhaps home depot has improved its delivery service in the last few years, I was LIVID they couldnt give a time window and left it on the porch.
if any company pulls that again I am telling them to come pick it up and demand a refund!
Oh man! Left it on the porch? wow. I wouldnt deal with them either.
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:23:01 -0400, "Postal68"

at Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:13:22 -0400 in the thread Re: Where is a mobile phone :-)
trainfan1 posted a link for porn spam.
He also complained about the link in the first post in that threadm saying it was spam, but that doesn't mean he's not promoting his own porn spam.

mm wrote:

Sorry, did not know that. I couldn't get the site to work, I've never seen any porn in connection with it. The local morning shock jock radio show was talking about it last week & I must have caught the tail end of it.
Feel free to google my other posts.

I was joining you, or someone I guess, in saying "spam" about phone traces. I not selling or promoting anything.
Rob
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:59:23 -0400, trainfan1

You said in another thread "I have not seen it. I have nothing to do with it." (post this post)
WTF, Did you or Did you not?
Nevermind!!
-- Oren
trainfan1 wrote:

You have a point, always compare total price.
Example: I checked Lowes for a new Maytag electric range. Lowes was $30.00 cheaper than my local Maytag dealer. But, add $40.00 for Lowes delivery, PLUS, $32 for the pigtail, PLUS, Lowes would not haul-away the old appliance.
My local Maytag dealer did not charge extra for the pigtail, did not charge for delivery, installed for FREE, plus hauled away the old appliance for FREE.
My savings for not shopping Lowes, was invaluable.
Sonny wrote:

That's strange, I had the opposite experience. I just got back from picking up the fridge, so there was no delivery involved.
With the range, delivery was $60.00, and there was a $60.00 delivery rebate.
I used the pigtail off the old range, no charge there.
Lowes hauled off the old range, no charge. I even loaded it up with all the spare parts I had accumulated.
It must depend on region?
I also am getting a gift card rebate that I didn't know about, it printed out at the register. $50.00, or about a $46.50 discount when you consider the sales tax.
Rob

I cold never figure out why anyone would want to pick up a refrigerator. They are heavy and expensive if damaged.
My local dealer is about the same price as Lowes but offers much better service. If you're happy, good for you, but Lowes and HD are the last places I'd buy an appliance. Well no, Sears is deal last.

-snip-
-snip-
And luck-of -the-draw. We got our dishwasher at Lowe's 3 years ago- Freezer at Appliance Giant that year- Refrig & stove from Sears last year- and washer/dryer from a local mom&pop this spring. [bad few years for appliances- all were nearly 20yrs old- and except for the refrigeration units I've repaired them at some point, but they had major failures. . .. the furnace is all that's left I think]
The mom&pop, BTW, if anyone is near Schenectady, NY is Marcella's. I dropped in there on a hunch thinking they were probably high, but I've heard good things about them. They beat Lowes by $150 on a $600 dryer-- and beat Boscov's sale price by $50.
Jim

Hey Jim - If you need more appliances, try Roy Matthews in Scotia - they beat out the 8 other places we shopped for the model we wanted. We paid $450 for a dishwasher when the "list" price was over $700 and the cheapest we could find elsewhere was $525. Most places wanted $600 plus delivery and installation. We did that ourselves, so I don't know what the delivery would have been.

That's been my experience as well. Many of the models they sell are "Lowes Exclusive", identifiable by an L in the embedded in the model number. While this can be used to avoid price matching, at Lowes I've found they tend to take features from the next more expensive series and include them in the Lowes version of the less expensive model. And they still price cheaper.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Rick Blaine wrote:

Are you a Lowes employee? That doesn't even make sense that appliances would be fitted as you described.

No, but I can read. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Here's just one example: Go to the Lowes website and look at this fridge:
<http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId$1391-2251-FRS3LR5ES&lpage=none>
Now go to the Frigidare web site and try to find that model. The closest you'll find is this:
<http://www.frigidaire.com/products/refrigerators/side-by-side/Standard_Depth/prod_FRS6R5ES.asp
Compare the feature and you'll find they are identical, except that the Lowes model has an energy star compressor and the other does not. Note that the L in the model number indicates that it's a Lowes specific model. They aren't the only ones to do this. Sears does it as well.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
I have no vested interest either. And I usually begrudgingly hand out praise. And you can easily find an employee is way too attitudinal in any of these places. So of course it's not perfect anywhere.
And Lowes is 'designed' to actually cater (more) to women, so that pisses me off. But if they are cheaper, they just are..
One call always shop an item to death and always find a lower one. But once you get beyond a certain point (say 3 bids?), I guess it becomes more of a 'hobby'..?

$10 less, but Sears has free delivery. Lowes won't say what their delivery cost is, but I am guessing it is more than $10. I shopped only Sears because I had rebate certificates I had to use up, but its good to know I made the best choice!
Toller wrote:

Delivery is $60.00 at Lowes, but there is a $60.00 rebate. And I wanted it on my schedule, not theirs, & today.
The same unit at Sears today is $160 more when we called. Mom & Pop local dealer #1 was $80 higher, + delivery, Mom & Pop local dealer #2 was $120 higher, + delivery, although I picked up. Add ~$46.50 + 9% per $100 to these differences figuring in the $50 gift card rebate & sales tax.
I remember when Lowes came to town, I told myself I could never imagine buying a major appliance from them.
The best deals were always so quick, reasonable, & easy with the local guy(co-op buying power). When I bought a over-the-range microwave & dishwasher about ten years ago, I recall this being the case.
You still have to do your shopping around, no doubt. And I couldn't find any deals on the new Google "Products" search(formerly "Froogle") to use as bargaining leverage.
Rob