Off and Pop for changing sockets

Page 1 of 4
I watched and old electrician, about to change a recepticle / socket. He had a junction box on about six inches of cord, with a three wire plug. He plugged the device in, and pushed a big rubber covered button. Down the hall I could hear a breaker go clunk.
Neat! I ocurred to me that he'd used a huge contactor to drop a dead short, and shut off the breaker to the socket he was replacing.
(note to all: Please do not try this if you have a Federal Pacific Electric stabloc panel.)
I went home and made such a device out of a 15 amp toggle switch with light. First time I tried it, I fused the contacts, and the switch would not turn off. Took that out and put in a 20 amp Leviton switch, and have used it several times without trouble.
I labelled it "off" and "pop".
Sure is safer than the Jesus method.

He is too lazey and cheep to buy one of the electronic detectors. The one where you plug a small box in the receptical and go to the breaker panel and run a hand held device up and down and find the correct breaker.
If it was just down the hall and within hearing range, a small radio that plugs in makes a good way to tell which one supplies the power.
About the only time I might recommend the short is if there are critical items that can not be turned off for a few seconds , or if in the case of where I worked in a very large plant a great difficulty of locating the power source due to multi breaker boxes and floors and buildings.
On 11/30/2014 10:42 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It's unwise to call people lazy and cheap, unless you've known them in person and are sure that's the case. There are effective ways of doing tasks, and this is the one he chose for this task. I'm OK with that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That is like testing your airbag by running your car into a pole.
We used to do very much the same thing in junior high school. Some kids would simply take a male plug and connect the brass and chrome plated screws inside with a short piece of wire. You plug that into an outlet and it causes a dead short and the breaker trips. No need for an electrical box or a contactor, and it's small enough that you can easily conceal it in your pants pocket.
We would use that plug to short out the outlet where the overhead projector was plugged in so the teacher couldn't use it.
--
nestork

Tripping breakers with a dead short? Sounds a bit dangerous to me.
How many dead short trips (as opposed to a slight overload when the toaster comes on) does a breaker have in it? (is that a "bolted fault" in power c ompany speak) Is this the first time that breaker has tripped, or the 100t h?
The wire between the outlet and the breaker carries that full current. Are you 100% sure that nowhere on that circuit is a bad splice, a piece of eq uipment that can't handle an overcurrent, or any other part that can fail? Is the wire itself big enough to handle the full current until the breaker trips? What happens if that breaker is bad and does NOT trip?
On 11/30/2014 12:13 PM, nestork wrote:

"such nice boys!"
Your father and I are so proud.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/30/2014 07:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There was an item in the news a year or two ago about a guy who did that and set the house on fire.
On 11/30/2014 12:15 PM, cjt wrote:

I'll leave the relevant text above.
cjt;3315045 Wrote: >

Neat-O ! ! ! !
--
nestork

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:42:53 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

What about all the extra time these two methods take. Time is money. And the customer doesn't want to pay by the hour for him to listen to the radio and walk back and forth down the hall or the stairs.

On 11/30/2014 8:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I gotta change out my meter socket and would rather not work it hot. I got an aluminum ladder so I could just disconnect the transformer on the pole but you got me thinking it might be easier to just trip the transformer's breaker. Should I pop the meter and short across the two hot legs or short hot to neutral? (To be safe, I'll wear safety glasses and my wife's rubber dishwashing gloves.) Oh, this is 2-phase, if that matters.
On 11/30/2014 3:31 PM, Berndt Butz wrote:

You can find plenty of tutorial videos on www.youtube.com if you use the right search terms.

if you are in Myanamar, have at it.

It does not take that much time to do the job right. The guy is going to be charged a minimum anyway. Lots of hack jobs are being done just to save a dollar.
On 11/30/2014 4:30 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Actually, Mickey, this electrician I was watching was working at the church. I think at this moment he was serving as a service missionary, and the church did not pay him. He later was offered a job, and is on the payroll, if I heard and remember correctly.
While there are lazy and cheap hack jobs, this was (is) not one of them.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:42:53 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

And NEVER do it in that situation, because sure as shootin' someone will want to use something else on that circuit and will turn it on jast as you grab onto the wires. In a plant you MUST lock out the circuit you are working on. No IFS, ANDS or BUTS about it. Get caught working on a circuit that is not locked out in many shops you end up taking the rest of the day (or week) off without pay.
With good reason. Compensation costs go WAY up when someone gets killed or seriously injured due to stupidity.
Better to work on a known live circuit than an unlocked dead one.

On Sunday, November 30, 2014 5:15:19 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: In a plant you MUST lock out the

When I worked for a (well known name) paper company, the penalty for workin g on a circuit that was not locked out was immediate firing. The penalty f or working on a circuit that WAS locked out, but did not have your individu al lockout on it too, was also immediate firing. We took Zero Energy State regulations seriously - as does OSHA.
On 11/30/2014 5:27 PM, TimR wrote:

company, the penalty for working on a circuit that was not locked out was immediate firing. The penalty for working on a circuit that WAS locked out, but did not have your individual lockout on it too, was also immediate firing. We took Zero Energy State regulations seriously - as does OSHA.

At the end of the week, was anyone still employed?
On 11/30/2014 5:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ralph will promptly tell you that he's not too lazy or cheap to do the job right.
In my case, there were two persons in the church building at the moment he used his breaker popper. We respected each other enough to work safely.
--
.
Christopher A. Young