Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

Page 3 of 4

Where I live now, trash is only picked up once a week, rather than twice. It is a challenge sometimes. And sometimes, we need to make a clandestine trip to the dumpsters behind the store. In the summertime, stuff can really get skanky in a week.
Plus, I have to haul two of the large "cans" 1/2 mile to the pick up point. Living in rural America has its perks, but garbage pickup is not one of them. At least not here.
Steve XXtreme SW Utah
Visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

You do have a compost pile though right? That takes care of a large portion of the vegatative type of garbage.
We have a disposal but rarely use it. Compost pile first, trash second, the disposal takes care of the little bit that gets rinsed of a dish or otherwise gets into the sink. I take the trash away as needed though, I have access to a dumpster.

We eat boneless breasts (and legs/thighs, BTW) too but not *every* night. Depending on the mood (not mine ;) and the price we also eat a lot of bone-in chicken.

I don't want the critters around the house and the stuff stinks, particularly after a week in the summer sun. I don't want the flies, either. There is no food in our "garbage" so no smell, no critter scattering it, and no flies.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

I don't dump raw garbage in the garbage cans. All my garbage is bagged and sealed before it goes into the garbage can. I have never had to clean my garbage cans in the 25 years I have lived here. I have had to replace cans because the wheels started to come off..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You don't read very well either.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

There are a lot of things that you don't well either. One of them is logical thinking.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No one said anything about cleaning garbage cans, idiot.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

Hah, ha, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! You said the garbage cans attracts flies and critters, . I live in the country. Animals do not get into my garbage, especially raccoons, and they have hands rather than paws. Flies don't bother with garbage sealed in bags in a properly closed can. They'd rather go down the road where there is readily available horseshit and cowshit.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No, idiot, it's food that attracts flies and critters.

More idiotic irrelevance.

IOW, your house.
DITTO..I use handle tie bags and seal it up by just tying them...No smell or mess...I take them to the Transfer Station on Saturday morning...

My attitude about them changed recently when we had to have our leach field entirely replaced. $$$$ Now, mostly everything goes in the garbage can. If I was on city sewage, tho, I'd run more stuff through it.
You mention peeling. What used to stop mine up every time was a lot of potato peels.
Steve

re: "Who peels stuff in the sink?"
My wife. It hurts her back to lean over the can, which you kind of have to do to keep the peelings from flying all over the place.
She'll typically toss most of the peelings in the can and then flush the rest into the disposer.
As long as she keeps cooking the way she does, she can peel stuff any d*mn place she wants!

In my house it all goes down the disposer.

As long as that's not the only place she's cooking. ...though that "peeling" part sounds painful.
I agree..Disposers are a waste of money and bad for the septic system....Put you veggie peelings , ect. in your mulch pile and left over food in the garbage where it belongs...
P.S. Aside from all the convenience and time-savings, my garbage disposal has already paid for itself in reduced garbage pick-up rates alone. I'd have to pay for an extra container each week without it.
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:18:05 -0700 (PDT), mike

I take the drain off my disposal and use it to make coleslaw. Also use it to make milk shake smoothies.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

:)
mike wrote:

How do you display your environmental concerns?
Clot wrote:

Usually with an extended middle finger. Why do you ask?