Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

Page 2 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Wow! You know how to look something up in Wikipedia. Nice job!
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

Take a trip down to your local waste water facility and ask, before you make opinions.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ours is able to do their job. Maybe you should replace yours.

Question...
May be moving form Midwest to Arizona....
Will a compost pile work well in desert southwest where so dry?

I don't have a lot of composting experience but I'm sure it would. You do have to add some water so you'd probably have to add more. Compost heaps are pest attractors. If you have a lot of compost it can get out of hand quickly. One thing I've learned is if the city will p/u yard waste (better to just mulch grass clippings) let them do it. If I started another compost pile I'd be absolutely sure it was sealed away from mice etc...... I prefer to go to the nursery and buy compost. :-)
Mike wrote:

1-800-NEW-DISPOSER
Opinion: Had one many many years ago. Was heavy duty model by look of it, one third HP IIRC. Worked OK for several years in a domestic four person situation, then something in it broke. Would never bother again. Just another piece of AC powered small machinery that will eventually need repair or replacement! We later ran a small catering business, doing some of the cooking etc. at home and never needed such a device. Summary 'An unnecessary item'! Also possibly dangerous if someone misused it?
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 04:33:16 -0700 (PDT), Mike

This may be bolted to the motor instead of being a part of the motor's shaft. You would need to take it apart and see which is the case. if it's a part of the motor shaft it probably would be less expensive to buy a new disposal. If its not you may be able to repair it.
Mike wrote the following:

Remove the disposer and replace it with a piece of drain pipe. What do you need a disposal for? Dumping pieces of garbage into your septic tank, or worse, the municipal sewer system, which has to work extra to remove that crap before they release the treated water into the waterways? Get a cheap garbage can and scrape the waste from the dishes into it. I hear some places actually have some kind of service where trucks come and pick up the garbage for you. Of course there is a fee.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs, peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can (yuck). Garbage disposals are practically standard equipment in modern kitchens. They save time, avoid messes, and are very convenient. It's so nice to wipe off everything right off your counters directly into the undermount sink and flip a switch.

Why would you do that? Scrape leftovers off the plates straight into the can. Dump the cutting board straight into the can too. Why create the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and then scooping them into the can?
On Apr 22, 10:08am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Are you supposed to wash your dishes in the garbage can? Are you supposed to wash off food and meat in a garbage can? I don't think so.
You do food prep where there is running water. That place is the sink, not the garbage can.
mike wrote the following:

A lot of people have slide out garbage cans in the cabinet right under the sink. Me, I have a trash compactor in the cabinet on the right side of the sink cabinet. Scrape the dishes in the compactor and then put the dishes in the dishwasher, or wash them by hand. I used to get the compactor bags that were pretty expensive, but for the last year or so, I have been using the Glad Force Flex tall kitchen bags in it. Never had a puncture yet, but I don't throw glass in it since we have a recycle pickup where I live.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

I heard a trash compactor described as a device that can "with the help of modern inventiveness, turn twenty-five pounds of garbage into twenty-five pounds of garbage."
Ain't technology grand?
HeyBub wrote the following:

In a smaller bag. My weekly garbage is compacted into a bag that is about 10 lbs in weight, yet can fit in a 5 lb joint compound pail.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Apr 22, 1:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

re: "Why create the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and then scooping them into the can?"
Sometimes it's not as easy as "scrape leftovers off the plates straight into the can" ... at least not in my kitchen.
Consider bits of food left in the bottom of a can being rinsed for the recycling bin, food mixed with liquids (e.g. soup) being tossed from the fridge, cooked food stuck to a frying or roasting pan, etc.
All of these are much more easily dealt with under running water, which is going to result in food scrapes in the sink.
I'm not arguing for or against disposers, I'm simply stating that I can't imagine being able to avoid ending up with food waste in the sink - at least not in my kitchen, or any kitchen that I have ever cooked in.
mike wrote:

Who peels stuff in the sink? I peel right over the garbage can, and do the cutting on a cutting board. The parts I don't wanna eat, I just tip the cutting board into the trash can. I never have large scraps on the plates to worry about- when you live alone, you only make a plateful at a time, and finish what you put on the plate.
I thought I would miss a disposal after having one for 25 years out on my own, but I've been here almost five years and don't even notice it any more. And the drains here are less-than-optimal, so I don't wanna stress them (or the septic) any more than I have to.
--
aem sends..

Chicken bones?

We have city sewers (made sure of that). I wouldn't be without a garbage disposal anymore. I don't like food rotting in the garbage and I don't have to worry about animals getting into the garbage. There's no food to attract them.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: (snip)

I take your point, but I don't cook anything with bones in it at home. Like I said, I live alone, and I hate leftovers. Chicken is those 5-lb bags of the pre-deboned breasts. 1 breast makes a good salad topper or sandwich filler. Because my drains clog easily, I don't pour chicken grease down the drain either- I wipe the pan out with a paper towel, and put it in the trash.
If I do ever have anything on the plate I decide isn't edible after all, I just scrape it in the trash, or off the back of the deck for the animals. If I suspect the trash can will then be smelly or attract bugs, I carry it out and empty it. Not a big deal.
--
aem sends...