Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

Page 1 of 4

So I'm cleaning up the kitchen last night after getting the kids to bed, running some water in the sink as I rinse dishes. The side of the sink with the disposal starts to fill up a bit, so I do the usual - click on the disposal to clear the junk out and let the water flow. Except this time the water didn't begin flowing. I heard the motor run when I flipped the switch, but nothing happened. I pull out the rubber piece in the sink, put on a glove and reach in a bit (yes, I know this is ill-advised). There is, of course, a bunch of food in there. I take a moment to scoop out as much as I can and then shine a flashlight into the disposal. I see in there the nut that holds the flywheel to the spinning bolt, but the nut is not in the middle like it should be. I fish out the nut and it's got part of the bolt still in it. In short, the bolt that come up the middle from the motor has broken and the top portion of the bolt is still in the nut. Good grief. I set the fly wheel back in the center so that I can see the top of the bolt, and then turn on the motor briefly. Yep, the bolt still turns, but without the nut holding the flywheel to the bolt, the flywheel just sits there. Off to google, search string "garbage disposal repair". Tons of results for things like unclogging a disposal, resetting a disposal, but nothing that addresses my situation.
So what do you think? Is this fixable, or is a replacement disposal the only viable way to go? If I do end up getting a plan to fix the unit, it seems like pulling teh disposal from the sink will be the only way to get down into the guts where the bolt meets the motor.
Thanks for any info/advice.
Mike

Obviously not in warranty. Age--does it pay to repair vs getting a new one? Removing it and bringing it in to a repair shop might save an expensive service call and let you answer that question. Why not give the manufacturer's customer service a call? MLD

Even if it can be repaired most likely it is not worth the effort. I have never taken one apart but I highly suspect that the bolt is an extended shaft on the motor, (much like a fan with a long shaft). If I am correct about that the motor armature would have to be replaced.
Even if it were a simple pull, repair install you would have all the parts and gaskets to buy.
I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from Lowes. It is much quieter and does a much better job.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting the, uh, you know...

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin. Nor could it handle more than one potato peeling.
This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings from 3 pounds of potatoes.
I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.
Colbyt

Not trying to piss you off, but why would you put so much stuff down the GD? That stuff goes in the trash or compost.
http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/pubs/625r00008/fs2.pdf
By dumping solids you're overloading your town's waste-water treatment facilities or your septic system.

Because I don't like rotting food sitting around the house. I don't like the smell or the pests.

Nonsense.

I think you are the nonsense.

But you don't think.

I dissagree.
Just quickly scan the PDF doc. Back in the 70s when I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to major in, I took some waste-water treatment courses at NMSU. I changed my mind about my major but I did manage to learn some things about the subject.
I put a small trash can with a lid by my backdoor for kitchen waste. The city comes by each week to pick it up for compost, but we pay a lot for garbage. It would be just as easy to throw it in a covered trash can. BTW: The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD because starches will eventually clog the system.

I did.

What has that to do with the price of oats in China? You pay a lot for garbage pick up, likely because you have union or government (or both) workers picking it up. I paid a lot when I lived in the NE, too. Enough that it was cheaper to take it to the "dump" myself. It was still more expensive than "full service" garbage collection is here. ...from the city, too. You're not going to find that waste in your garbage can.

More nonsense. If the plumbing is done correctly a disposer isn't going to do anything harmful to the plumbing. If you have trees in your pipes, well...

<sigh> So I guess that's nonsense too.

We pay a lot of taxes period. I live in a capital city so they find as many excuses as they can to pick our pockets. The point I was making (not very well) is: I'd compost if they didn't pick it up. Austin is so stupid. They pick up all our recyclables and store them and then they have to pay to have them taken away because they didn't tie the recyclers into a workable contract. Of course we pay for their mistake. I swear my city utility bill goes up every month.

Well....I see you're set in your ways. Good luck with all that. The last plumber I talked to just confirmed what I learned in class and what I've heard from other plumbers in the past. But I'm sure you know better.

What it said may be fine. What it didn't is another thing. Nothing is free, as you lefties pretend.

Who's fault is that?

Replace them, or do what I did. Move.

I know enough to keep my plumbing in working order, yes.

<Snip>
I haven't been here long enough to vote in a council election.
We're planning on moving when we retire. Move down to Victoria and buy a house bigger than the one were in for about 1/4 of the price. Use the equity for vacations and finish traveling the world. Austin is a beautiful place to live and jobs here are plentiful. The housing market has yet to suffer and there is a lot of good here for upwardly mobile people. Not a good place to retire unless you like paying for everything under the sun. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get a oxygen tax, which they are already, in a round-about way.
BTW: In regards to your last comment. It's not just about your system. Do some research. This isn't news. Common knowledge among people in the industry.
:-)

We stayed in the NE until I retired, then beat feet as fast as we could. The NE is just *nuts*.

Again, you only look at the part of the equation others decide is good for you.

I donno....If it's a conspiracy it's a damn good one. Ya think they are artificially adding nitrates and phosphates into the waste-water so the companies that sell chlorine can sell more to municipalities? Diabolical!

Now you've gone completely nutz.

That was pretty ridicules. Chlorine is used to remove pathogens not nitrates or phosphates. As soon as a chemist reads this he's going to nail me.

Every plumber I have chatted with over the MANY years on jobsites say the same...Garbage Disposers are not just a waste of money but down right damaging , ESPECIALLY on a septic system...

I've talked to at least 2 (that I can remember) that said the same thing. And, of course the instructors at the Waste Mgt. school said GD overload the treatment systems. But, I was surprised that there is a treatment plant up in MN that actually encourages the use of GDs. I'd think that would be the exception. They use the sludge for bio-fuel. I couldn't help but think the plumbers in that town must be busy.