Odor under kitchen sink

I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was leaking stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I didn't want to get any bigger. I had been catching the leakage in a vessel, but smell was ewwwwww! So, b ite the bullet. Plumber did good job.
However, some odor lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of the area before ret urning contents. Put container of baking soda and another of charcoal.
Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix.
What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get rid of, lingering odor?
TIA
HB

Go under the sink and paint the floor with a sealing, odor-blocking paint. Here is a trusted, well-known brand: http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid 78bb33ea344310VgnVCM100000176310acRCRD For small areas a spray can should be enough.
--
Hope this helps,

pilgrim
On 6/24/2013 3:51 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

> didn't want to get any bigger. I had been catching the

Where was this pipe...in a cabinet?
If so, the plywood(?) bottom may have gotten wet and absorbed some the odor. Worse yet, maybe the gunk got under the cabinet bottom and soaked into the flooring below. You might have to cut out the bottom of the cabinet to get to the source (assuming a cabinet is involved).
It would be fairly easy to replace the bottom of the cabinet as long as you leave enough wood around the perimeter to attach some blocking to so you'll have something to attach the new bottom to. Once you put in a strong enough bottom to hold the weight of any contents, you could cover it with any of a variety of materials to hide the seams.
On Monday, June 24, 2013 6:21:07 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes. Under-sink cabinet. I'll post a pic in next few days.
Thanks to all for suggestions. I will try easiest first -- bowl of vinegar.
Then will escalate to Kilz.
Don't think I'll have to bore a hole and pour ammonia, because the leakage was not all over the floor. It was from a tiny hole, which I caught in a vessel.
Yikes! - as I write, I remember there was odor BEFORE I woke up to the situation and placed a vessel! So I hope to hell it didn't soak into wood of bottom.

Carpentry skills not up to challenge. So hope I can solve problem short of replacing floor of cabinet.
Stay tuned.
Tx to all
HB
You can't add information later. That makes Derby Dad crazy. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Monday, June 24, 2013 11:41:39 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

situation and placed a vessel! So I hope to hell it didn't soak into wood of bottom.

Cabinets have doors. Doors hide a multitude of sins.
Trying to fix the floor of a cabinet that will be covered with supplies and then hidden behind a closed door might not be a bad place to hone your carpentry skills.
We could walk you through it if it becomes the only remedy.
Good luck!
Was the odor there before he put the bowl down?
If so, which number post? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Where was this pipe...in a cabinet?
If so, the plywood(?) bottom may have gotten wet and absorbed some the odor. Worse yet, maybe the gunk got under the cabinet bottom and soaked into the flooring below. You might have to cut out the bottom of the cabinet to get to the source (assuming a cabinet is involved).
It would be fairly easy to replace the bottom of the cabinet as long as you leave enough wood around the perimeter to attach some blocking to so
you'll have something to attach the new bottom to. Once you put in a strong enough bottom to hold the weight of any contents, you could cover
it with any of a variety of materials to hide the seams.

Bowl of vinegar.
Greg
On Monday, June 24, 2013 2:51:19 PM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:

ky stuff through a very small hole -- which I didn't want to get any bigger . I had been catching the leakage in a vessel, but smell was ewwwwww! So, b ite the bullet. Plumber did good job. However, some odor lingers. I scrubbe d the hell out of the area before returning contents. Put container of baki ng soda and another of charcoal. Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix. What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get rid of, lingering odor? TIA HB
You could also spray full-strength Bleach on everything in sight after the other remedies have been tried and had a chance to dry out.

Also spray strong solution of oxyclean, then fan dry. I got vinegar right now under sink at campsite trailer. I'll be checking it out. I use 6% cleaning vinegar.
Greg
On 6/25/2013 12:04 AM, gregz wrote:

I wonder if Febreze® air freshener and odor eliminator would work? I've used some of it around the house since we have two dogs and me. It seemed to work fairly well. It contains an interesting chemical compound, "Cyclodextrin" which has many uses including odor control.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclodextrin
TDD