odor in house

We have an unknown odor in our house and it is really driving us crazy. It smells like something has dead. We thought it would eventually go away. It has been eight months and the smell is terrible. We have been under the house and were unable to find anything. We have to use candles to be able to sit at the computer for any amout of time. It's not all over the house. It just seems to be in the area around the computer. Is there any one out there that we could call that would come and find or at least be able to tell us what it might be or where it is coming from. We don't know what to do, but we need to be something. We can't continue to live with this smell.
This may sound odd, but perhaps something HAS died. I've seen photos of multiple instances where mice have crawled into a computer and gotten stuck (attracted to the cozy-warm interior I suppose). Just for grins, you might open up the computer case and take a peek inside. If that's all clear, it's also possible that a critter has died inside your wall or something. Check nearby forced air ducts, check any plumbing penetrations, check around outlet covers, etc. If it's really bad and you can't find it, it may be worthwhile to actually try to put a small hole in the wall where it's strongest and attempt to look around inside with a small mirror and a flashlight.
Try the fittings that hold your light bulbs, sometimes the plastic "rots" through being heated up by the bulb and then cooling down again.
I had a similar problem and thought it was the sewers as the smell was like dead fish.
It may sound odd but you have nothing to lose by just smelling the fitting.
Try a pet oder remover like http://www.urinegone.com/?cid 2863. While it may not be from a pet, if the smell is distinctly organic, and resembles urine, a product like this or similar might help.
You might also call exterminators or http://www.servpro.com/ and ask if they have a way to find dead animals in the walls (like a trained dog)

borrow a friends dog, they will show you where the action is
First of all if the smell has been there for 8 months, its NOT a mouse, It may very well be something larger like a opposum, raccoon, are you missing a cat?
A dog will help locate the area of the smell.
Searcher
Does it smell like a sewer, toilet wax rings can go bad , sink , tub, floor drain traps can dry up, all bringing in sewer gas. Pour water in all drains and see if its the toilet. My toilet did not leak water, but gas was comming in. A dead animal smell would be gone in 1-2 months.
I have seen where a critter has died somewhere in the house. It is possible that they can go between the floor space, or even the walls. This can be a problem for a while.
--

Jerry G.
======
blumissy wrote:

What area of the house is the computer located? Close to any vents, ducts, pipes, plumbing? Got natural or bottled gas? Basement or crawlspace? One story?

Rule out big snakes, since you were under the house .....