Odor from furnace

We all know of the odor a furnace emits the first time you turn it on for the season. What would cause this odor to continue each time you start the unit in the morning.

Thanks

Reply to
john szydelko

Dirty, dusty vents, filters, coils etc.

Reply to
Rich

Plus don't use any lube oil on the blower bearings. They are meant to run dry. The furnace heat will give you a smell of oil.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

"john szydelko" wrote

Deja Vu!

Every seen "Groundhog Day"??!!!

;-]

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Mold in the A coil area can develop in summer, Get a pro to clean everything, your efficiency will improve. Also dirty ducts, get a pro out.

Reply to
m Ransley

That statement is in direct conflict with the maintenance instructions on my older furnace. If my blower bearings run dry I don't have a functional blower for very long. I have never noticed the smell of oil after doing my yearly furnace tune-up. I think better advice would be to consult the maintenance instructions on your own furnace.

Reply to
tcg

The blower does not get hot ,it is before the fire, plus alot of regular wires run to it. If your bearings are sealed and have no oil port you do not oil, but if you have oil ports you oil. Bearings are never meant to run dry, or they fail very early.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Phisherman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:01:32 -0600 snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) posted:

Yes, exactly.

The bearings that don't need oiling are oil-impregnated. Somehow they mix oil in with the metal bearing, and when the motor runs, the oil seeps out. When the motor stops for a long time, most of the oil soaks back into the bearing. Amazing what humans can think of.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman