Odd X-10 Problem: Apparently Solved

Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not properly responding to command. One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit. When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several days now. Does that make sense? Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Yes, I've had problems cause by similar situations.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Suggest you destroy & dispose of that cord before it becomes a source of grief.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Yes. Like the other poster, I have had situations with various devices, mostly those that have audio or video because of something fuzzy in a cord or connection. Must be something internal, because there is nothing visible, and when changed, it works fine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That would be one reason X10 recommends their units NOT be used on an extension cord. They are to be used only on wall or base mounted outlets (at least that's what the instructions always USED to say)

Reply to
clare

What is the best URL for Leviton units? I have some that I have been using for many years and would like to update a few of them. Are they all interchangeable?

Reply to
joevan

I think you missed my point. I'm thinking the intermittent connection to the extension cord unit caused *other* modules on the same circuit to act erratically.

Reply to
frank1492

An intermittent connection can activate the "local sense" circuitry on the module and cause it to activate because "it thinks" someone toggled an on/off switch.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'd check with

- last time I checked he had a lot of Leviton gear for sale that he got at various closeouts for reasonable prices. There are a number of vendors on Ebay and Amazon that offer good discounts. If you want good service and high prices, check
(-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

It is a protocol for controlling home automation through the house wiring. There are appliance modules and lamp modules that you plug into the wall socket, then plug in the thing you want to control. Elsewhere, you plug in the controller and you can turn lights on and off with a timer or manually, dim lights, etc.

I have some of my lights on timers, but I also have a couple of outdoor lights controlled by the system. Hear noises outside? Push on button and every controlled light comes on, including the one mounted on my detached garage.

X-10 devices are sold by different makers, Smart Home, X-10.com, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Andy comments: If you go to google and use " X10" as the search parameter, you will find dozens of articles ranging from devices on sale to the technical standards for how the devices are made.

Ed has given you a good overview, and if you are still curious, you can find the subject in any detail you want using google...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

Ok, I know what you mean. I have something like that, which I bought at Radio Shack around the early 1990s. I bought it to turn on / off my old tv (no remote) from my bed. There was a block to put in the outlet and tv plugged into that. By my bed I had a control that plugged in to outlet and had 4 switches. It was made to control up to

4 devices. It's probably still around here in some box. After getting a tv with a remote I didn;t need it anymore.

These Radio Shack ones were not called X-10. I cant remember what they were called, probably Realistic (something).

Reply to
jw

Do you know if the older Levitron units will work with the newer units?

Reply to
joevan

X-10 is much more sophisticated than anything Radio Shack sold in the early '90's.

It's more than just ON-OFF.

e.g. You can dim standard CFL Spots with X-10 switches.

If you want to really high tech you can use your computer and Smart Macros to control devices in some interesting ways, like having motion dectectors turn the bathroom lights on at 50% brightness between 11 PM and 6AM, full brightness during other hours and not at all during the day.

I have manual dimmers in all my bathrooms to accomplish the same goal. Automating it with X-10 would be cool, but would probably PO SWMBO.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

Radio shack calls their devices "Powerhouse". "Realistic" seems to be used for audio / video equipment.

X10 devices are more likely to work when only a few are in use.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

X-10 is a company. visit x10.com to see what it is.

Reply to
Twayne

No, RadioShaft sold X-10 products in the early '90s (and all through the '80s and '00s, too).

Calling X-10 "sophisticated" is a stretch, too. ;-)

Reply to
krw