Odd X-10 Problem: Apparently Solved

Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not properly responding to command. One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit. When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several days now. Does that make sense? Frank

Yes, I've had problems cause by similar situations.

Suggest you destroy & dispose of that cord before it becomes a source of grief.
Erik

Yes. Like the other poster, I have had situations with various devices, mostly those that have audio or video because of something fuzzy in a cord or connection. Must be something internal, because there is nothing visible, and when changed, it works fine.
Steve

That would be one reason X10 recommends their units NOT be used on an extension cord. They are to be used only on wall or base mounted outlets (at least that's what the instructions always USED to say)
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:42:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What is the best URL for Leviton units? I have some that I have been using for many years and would like to update a few of them. Are they all interchangeable?

I'd check with http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_faq.htm - last time I checked he had a lot of Leviton gear for sale that he got at various closeouts for reasonable prices. There are a number of vendors on Ebay and Amazon that offer good discounts. If you want good service and high prices, check www.smarthome.com (-:
-- Bobby G.
I think you missed my point. I'm thinking the intermittent connection to the extension cord unit caused *other* modules on the same circuit to act erratically.
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:39:13 -0800 (PST), Evan

An intermittent connection can activate the "local sense" circuitry on the module and cause it to activate because "it thinks" someone toggled an on/off switch.
-- Bobby G.
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:19:35 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

It is a protocol for controlling home automation through the house wiring. There are appliance modules and lamp modules that you plug into the wall socket, then plug in the thing you want to control. Elsewhere, you plug in the controller and you can turn lights on and off with a timer or manually, dim lights, etc.
I have some of my lights on timers, but I also have a couple of outdoor lights controlled by the system. Hear noises outside? Push on button and every controlled light comes on, including the one mounted on my detached garage.
X-10 devices are sold by different makers, Smart Home, X-10.com, etc.

Ok, I know what you mean. I have something like that, which I bought at Radio Shack around the early 1990s. I bought it to turn on / off my old tv (no remote) from my bed. There was a block to put in the outlet and tv plugged into that. By my bed I had a control that plugged in to outlet and had 4 switches. It was made to control up to 4 devices. It's probably still around here in some box. After getting a tv with a remote I didn;t need it anymore.
These Radio Shack ones were not called X-10. I cant remember what they were called, probably Realistic (something).
On Dec 30, 8:14am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

X-10 is much more sophisticated than anything Radio Shack sold in the early '90's.
It's more than just ON-OFF.
e.g. You can dim standard CFL Spots with X-10 switches.
If you want to really high tech you can use your computer and Smart Macros to control devices in some interesting ways, like having motion dectectors turn the bathroom lights on at 50% brightness between 11 PM and 6AM, full brightness during other hours and not at all during the day.
I have manual dimmers in all my bathrooms to accomplish the same goal. Automating it with X-10 would be cool, but would probably PO SWMBO.

No, RadioShaft sold X-10 products in the early '90s (and all through the '80s and '00s, too).
Calling X-10 "sophisticated" is a stretch, too. ;-)
On 12/30/2011 07:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:
[snip]

Radio shack calls their devices "Powerhouse". "Realistic" seems to be used for audio / video equipment.
X10 devices are more likely to work when only a few are in use.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Do you know if the older Levitron units will work with the newer units?
On Dec 30, 12:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Andy comments: If you go to google and use " X10" as the search parameter, you will find dozens of articles ranging from devices on sale to the technical standards for how the devices are made.
Ed has given you a good overview, and if you are still curious, you can find the subject in any detail you want using google...
Andy in Eureka, Texas
In typed:

X-10 is a company. visit x10.com to see what it is.