Odd swamp cooler problem

Temp read 135 on my thermometer yesterday. My swamp cooler failed - started blowing hot air. Checked water in reservoir - cool as could be expected and water flowing through all the pads. If I turned it off for a while, then on got cool air for a bit, then hot again. All I can think of is pads got hot. Never had that happen before. But never had 135 before either, previous hottest 125. Supposed to be even hotter today. Hope they're wrong.

Reply to
KenK

The pads dried out -- in whole or in part.

The original cooler we had (four sided, down draft) couldn't keep up when it was hot and dry. It had a four-sided spider (instad of center fed) so i added a second pump to feed the spider from the opposite corner. In effect, doubling the amount of water that I could run over the pads.

And, raised the float level as high as practical so the pumps wouldn't suck air with all that water up in the pads.

On hot/dry days, water would continuously flow into the reservoir at a steady clip. Amazing to consider how much water it was putting into the air!

What sort of temperature delta are you seeing when its working?

Reply to
Don Y

Can you rig a lawn sprinkler to spray the cooler housing in an effort to cool it down from the heat ? Maybe at an angle to hit 2 sides and the top ?

Reply to
Retired