Odd-sized louver

I need to replace a time-worn (and tennis ball through it) attic louver at one peak of my roof. The problem is that when I removed the remnants of the old one I was pretty sure it was 18x24 and picked up a cheap $10 plastic replacement.

I got up there with the replacement and it wasn't even close. The raw opening is 17x22. What's worse is that opening is pretty much the limit. I'd have to do major reconstruction work to make it bigger (or smaller). There's aluminum siding on the house there that I'm not ready to replace and the wall joists on that wall are 18" apart.

I don't see anything out there made for that size. What are my options? Right now there's a gaping hole there with screen on the inside to keep things out but once it gets warm here it'll be a real problem.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

Call some siding companies from the yellow pages and see what you can come up with.

Reply to
Noozer

I'm very tired from fighting with a frozen spigot all day, I admit, but I thought for a second this subject line said, "Odd-sized lover" and, for a moment, I forgot how tired I was.

:)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Right off the top of my head I would suggest getting a louver smaller than your opening, making a frame out of wood to fit the opening in your house and install the smaller louver to that frame.

Paint the frame to match and install the whole thing in the opening of your house.

There are places that will make custom wood louvers but they can be expensive.

Reply to
greg6755

If you don't see anything your size, it's provbably because you limited yourself to Home Depot and Lowes. They typically don't stick very many sizes. Try looking at a regular non chain store, locl hardware store and have them order one for you that's the right size. Or try looking on the internet. You might have to have one custom made. I would not alter the house for this!!!

Reply to
scott21230