odd question: in-line gfci?

We're in a new house and the builder did not offer undercabinet lighting. I had the electrician run an extra circuit to the backsplash,
wired to a switch, so I could use this later and put my own undercab lights in.
The outlet is dead center on the wall above the cooktop, not an optimal
location and I don't want the undercab lights to just plug into the outlet. My options are move the outlet down the wall and inside a base cabinet (romex isn't long enough to do this) or leave the outlet where it is. I'm thinking of removing the gfci from the line and just using wire nuts to make the connection inside the box between the switch and the undercab lights. Then finish it off with a flush stainless steel cover plate. But doing this would remove the gfci protection on the lights. Is this a big deal? I haven't found any in-line gfci modules I could use or anything along those lines.
I'd really like to relocate the outlet so it's one less wall plate on the backsplash but that would mean running all new romex between the switch and box and route through the basement. Not impossible but a pain. Even if I leave the box where it is and splice another 4' of romex so I can relocate the box inside the base cabinets, I'd still need to leave the wall plate to access the connection. So if the wall plate is staying I'd rather just wire nut the line from the switch to the lights and be done with it. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
The existing GFCI has contacts to feed additional outlets, so use them for a added length of romex to the light
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's not a bad idea. Since that box and plate would have to exist anyway, at this least feeding a hidden outlet in the base cabinet would mean I'd still have use of the existing gfci outlet. Good call, thanks!
Zach Nelson wrote:

not only that but you might need that outlet someday for a kitchen appliance, like a mixer.
the outlets location and existence are probably required by code..........
Remember that this outlet (both plugs) are switched. If you expect the outlets to be always live, you would need to have the existing switch always on (or bypassed) and have a local switch on the under cabinet lights. Not what you planned for. Frankly, I think the GFCI protection for the undercabinet lights is overkill. Just hardwire in the lights as you probably planned to do originally. Of course for bigger bucks you could put a GFCI breaker on that circuit.
--
Peace,
BobJ

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
I should've mentioned, the extra gfci outlet is in addition to the existing outlets every 3-4' along the backsplash. I had it added with the undercab lights in mind. I think I'm going to tie the lights directly into the existing gfci box, remove the outlet itself, and put a plain stainless plate over top. Much easier than installing a new hidden outlet down below, etc.
Thanks everyone!