Odd project

I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses. Drills or hole saws don't seem to work. What would you suggest? Bill

Your tools are dull. Alternatively, try a heated needle for a small hole, a piece of hot metal tubing for something larger. Most plastics are more or less machinable so your technique needs refining.
Joe

Are you attempting this with a hand drill or a drill press? How large is the drill bit and how have you secured the glasses? Are these the 10-for-$1.99 "beach combers" that kids love? Are you using an old drill bit that might've lost its cutting edge or a new out-of-the-package bit?
When I did this, I used a 1/32" bit, locked the entire package down on top of my drill press, wood block underneath, and dropped it down SLOWLY. It took several minutes of tedious work but I was able to do it. I first tried it with my hand drill and quickly decided a drill press was the better tool. ;)
If you have a plastics shop (TAP comes to mind but I haven't seen one in years) near you, they might also offer some tools for "punching" the holes.
The Ranger

    Without knowing exactly how you are trying and exactly what you want, it is difficult to offer suggestions.
    How big of a hole? Are you drilling slow or fast RPM? Are you using little or a lot of pressure? In what way does it not seem to work? What tool are you using? Are you holding the object and tool securely (like a clamped part while using a drill press?

If the LENSES are actually plastic, try heating a small nail to RED HOT, then apply it to the lens to melt a small (pilot) hole. Drill out to correct size later.
FlaBill wrote:

Excimer Laser should do the job nicely.
TDD

Thank you all for fine suggestions. The glasses are $1 type until I find the best way to put a 3/4" hole in center. Please don't ask me what for...I will have to kill you ;) but will reveal the reason when successful. I'm inclined to try the heated points first then enlarge with tubing until the right size is met.\\ This means a lot to me and I am grateful for you input. You all may be participating in a major discovery. Bill

Use a Dremel and grind the hole.
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:27:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thought the same thing. Maybe a step bit would work.
pic:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/335325_lg.jpg
Oren wrote:

Seconded on the step drill recommendation.
Jon
Oren wrote:

Those work very well for drilling holes in plastic but you have to keep the speed low or the plastic will melt.
TDD

Did someone beat you to it?
http://www.carnivalsource.com/images/products/2530.jpg
http://r-sharma.sulekha.com/mstore/R-Sharma/albums/EyeDropFunnelGlasses.jpg
We have a gag set of dark shades that really take people by surprise. The lenses are "blood shot". making the eyes look really BIG.

LOL - probably where he got the idea!

You arn't making a pair of those glasses that allow you to see through clothing, are you?
Drill press. Hole saw. VERY gentle feed pressure, very slow RPM. That's what comes to my mind.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've actually used conduit KO punches to put a round hole in plastic. It works quite well.
TDD

What doesn't seem to work? Most any drill will cut plastic, use a medium speed. So the tip doesn't wander around, apply some masking tape.