ODD eyelet screws?

I asked my friend to pick up a couple of eyelets at one of those dollar sto res. She picked these up and I do not know what they actually are. Of cour se, its made in China and no info on the package, not even a name. Maybe it s a typical item in China. As you can see it has a couple of washers, a nut , and what maybe an anchor. But what confuses me is the tail end. Anyone he re familiar with them?

Frank

Looks like a type of wedge anchor used to mount things in concrete.

Haven't seen one quite like that.

Reply to
Idlehands

Expansion anchor bolt for solid hole mounting; this one happens to have a hook for the working end.

Pretty common, DAGS for "expansion anchor"

Reply to
dpb

I did click on the link. The page loaded. There was a bunch of advertising at top. I started to scroll down, and saw a some kind of bolt. Then, the page turned dark and I could barely see the picture. Then a pop up window showes up in the lower left, and started jiggling, and giving me nausea and sea sickness. Oh, look! A squirrel!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You've never seen an expansion anchor?

Reply to
rbowman

stores. She picked these up and I do not know what they actually are. Of course, its made in China and no info on the package, not even a name. Mayb e its a typical item in China. As you can see it has a couple of washers, a nut, and what maybe an anchor. But what confuses me is the tail end. Anyon e here familiar with them?

Well, I am not a professional like you, but they say that they do strange t hings in China. Did You ever see at the end of the anchor a solid tapered e nd? I haven't.

Reply to
Frank

I have , and have used them . The nut pushes the sleeve down against the taper , expanding it to tightly grip the sides of the hole . The tighter the nut , the tighter the grip - and they work very very well .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm a professional programmer not a maintenance person. However it is readily apparent if you stick the sleeve into a slightly oversized hole, hold the hook, and tighten the nut, it will draw the tapered end into the sleeve, expanding it.

Reply to
rbowman

That is a hook bolt sleeve anchor use in concrete or masonry.

Reply to
NicholasMeleeMan

maybe your in the wrong profession...become a handy man.LOL

Reply to
Frank

Oh! I've always stuck the hook through a hole in the wall and then hung my objects on that tapered end. If you balance everything just right - and don't bump it - it works pretty well. I've always wondered what that nut was for. I gotta admit, it's really hard to get off.

Maybe I need to thicken up my drywall and then try inserting the tapered end first. Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are yankin' my chain aren't you ? I guess I should have made it clear that they're for masonry use , though it was mentioned elsewhere in the thread ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Sorry, that message was meant for someone else...your post made the most sense and thank you.

Reply to
Frank