Observation port cover? ? ?

In August of 2007 our six-unit apartment building installed a Burnham V9A series boiler (oil burning). The warranty was for one year.
When we had our spring inspection-servicing recently, we discovered that the three-inch round glass lens on the rear, which the service manual calls the Rear Observation Port Cover, was broken -- undoubtedly from the heat.
Our local service company says this part will cost $215 -- an astounding amount for a small piece of glass.
My question is, do we really need this thing replaced?

If its allowing gasses to leak out, yes.
You may be able to replace it with a metal cover.
Dave

You're quoting a part price and the part is still under warranty, so why should you have to pick up a material cost? Hopefully your contract with the boiler installation company included a one year parts and labor warranty. In some places that's the law, but you'd have to check for your area.
Small condos and apartments have a knack for using one of the tenants with barely any knowledge of construction to run the show, then when there's a problem they find out that the contract was full of holes. Hopefully that's not yours situation.
Sounds like it should be under warranty, unless they're claiming it was broken by something not covered by the warranty.
That does sound expensive -- 3" dia x 1/8" thick extreme heat resistant glass disc is under $50 at www.mcmaster.com
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
I'll look at that site. Thanks.

I didn't make myself clear -- the warranty expired a few weeks ago.

Ray wrote:

Yes, it should be replaced. It's unusual for one to break on its own--they're a refractory glass so temperature shouldn't be an issue unless it wasn't mounted properly in the frame so could handle the thermal expansion.
If the unit didn't go in until 08/2007, would seem the 1-year warranty should be in effect.
I'm sorry, I meant the installation was August of 2006.

It sounds as though this is still under warranty so there should be no charge for replacement. Call the manufacturer about the need for the part and warranty satisfaction.

I doubt it was from the heat. They are made to take heat, lots of it. The ones on my boilers are 12, 14, and 25 years old.
It broke because it was either mishandled during installation of the boiler or someone hit it with something.

You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. It may be covered under warranty but that will have to be determined.
Yes, it must be replaced. Looking through the glass is one way of determining if the boiler is firing properly, if ignition is taking place at the right point, if the burner is sooting up. What scares me is that this was not noticed until the spring inspection. Someone must be checking on the boiler on a regular basis.
Rather than complain about the price of the part, you should be taking someone to task for negligence. Boilers large enough to heat a six unit building are in need of checking by a competent person that knows the signs of trouble and they should look through that glass too. There should be a checklist that is signed on a regular basis. Frankly, since you are asking if it is ok to cheap out on the maintaining of a brand new boiler, you are not the one to be in charge. It is an expensive piece of equipment and should be cared for to protect your investment.
If you think $215 is expensive for a piece of glass, wait 'til you get the cost of repairing parts that were not maintained.
Try here for your part http://www.statesupply.com/displayCategory.do?Id !20 Much cheaper