O.T. WebTV

Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business? I realize that it became MSN TV but I've done a search and the only live links are to references from 2007. I just want a firm yes or no so that I know if I can sell my FIL's unit. It's 4 yrs old, having bought it just before he passed on. This is the second unit that he had. TIA, Chuck
C & E wrote:

They must still be going. People are selling the units on Ebay and Amazon. Look for a thread called Run away cars. Jack is the OP using WebTv. It's from just a few days ago.
Yup, still in business... for now

I know someone in another newsgroup who was using it up to 8/27. Make that 11/11, 1/4, make that 3/8. But she hasn't posted since then.
I use webtv. I also have a Dell desktop with windows vista. I hate it! The webtv gets me on line in a little over one minute. The computer takes 15 minutes to do the same thing and it is very fussy (I am on dial-up). MSN states that webtv will operate as long as there are people using it.
---MIKE---

Thanks folks. I appreciate the quick response. Just didn't have time to get back. Regards, Chuck
I have a computer on RoadRunner, but still have the WebTV for the newsgroups and EMail. The NG's are easier to use than with a computer, and there are several that are only for WebTV AFAIK. I don't know how much longer I will keep the WebTV though. I need to call them and see about adjusting the monthly charge. I had an old computer on the same MSN plan as the WebTV, which was nearly worthless. Larry BTW, I have had WebTV for about 10-11 years, and have several extra units that I picked up for spares here and there over the years. I doubt you could get more than $10-15 for one.

Yes.
wrote Re Re: O.T. WebTV:

Looks like it's now owned by MS. http://www.webtv.net/pc /

I thought it always was.

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bl_web_tv.htm
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:10:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Bullshit. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on some units and they were marketing it.

Cite.
On Mar 17, 8:52pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

zzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

Google
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:52:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Fuck you.
You posted the bullshit. You get to post a cite.
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:52:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Can't expect you to get off your lazy ass. I provided enough for you to check, but you're either too stupid, too lazy, or too much of an asshole to check.
http://www.google.com/#&q=steve+perlman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perlman http://www.onlive.com/about/team/steve_perlman.html http://www.rearden.com/people/index.html http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-07/business/18379315_1_national-venture-capital-association-wall-street-startup-economy http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5bc17a4-2be5-11df-8033-00144feabdc0.html http://www.springerlink.com/content/k86125973t37011h / http://news.cnet.com/Steve-Perlmans-start-up-wisdom/2010-1071_3-994204.html
If you want a cite that he was friends of my brother or that my brother died last month then you can go fuck yourself.

Seems to be a little more involved. From http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bl_web_tv.htm I found
"WebTV was invented (I'd rather say that the technology was developed) in 1996 by Diba Inc and Zenith Electronics, who produced and marketed the first WebTV sets. "
The Wikipedia site says about Perlman "In 1995, Perlman created, co-founded, and was the President & CEO of WebTV Networks, Inc. WebTV was introduced in 1996, and was one the earliest products to connect the Internet to a television. Less than 2 years after it was founded, WebTV was acquired by Microsoft Corporation for US$503 million."
While he was the creator and founder of WebTV Networks, it is unclear if he took the technology from the Dilba/Zenith partnership to the level of use and viability or he actually started the base technology.

Me? Off my lazy ass? Are you stupid, or just a run of the mill asshole? I gave you my citation in my post, yet you expect me to believe everything you say because you say so.

I guess you're both.

I can attest that they are still going strong. My 95-year-old mother uses the service, as frustrating as it seems to a normal PC user. Guess there's something to be said for an appliance that never needs user attention.
Art