O/T: Lament for the old time voting booths.

Page 2 of 2

Yeah, I too am in NYC and I never understand the problems one sees on TV. Do they shut down the schools in other states on election day? Do they pay the poll workers too? (There always seems to be a huge over-manning.) I wonder what the turnout is? In my district, if he were the democratic nominee we would elect Osama bin Laden. Maybe most people don't vote here?
It's indeed a mystery.
On 11/03/08 06:42 am Phil Again wrote:

As a non-citizen, I don't have a vote here (I'm one of the taxed but unrepresented), but I recall the voting system in Australia, where registration and voting was compulsory (of course one could drop in a blank paper or scrawl obscenities on it -- the only thing really compulsory was showing up).
Paper ballot, with preferential voting: number candidates in order of preference.
One could vote at any "precinct" in one's own "electoral district" (to use the US terms). Even voting outside one's electoral district was not difficult, although I never did it: I think the supervisor may have had blank ballot forms on which s/he wrote the names of the candidates for that other electoral district.
I don't recall ever having to wait more than a few minutes to vote.
No results were announced until the polls had closed everywhere.
The result of the election was usually clear before the night was out.
I do not understand the US system -- either its logic or its implementation.
Perce
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:32:31 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
In the case of president voting is just a beauty contest anyway. The electoral college actually elects the president. all we do with our vote is advise the state legislators about which electors they choose to send. There is often at least one faithless elector that goes rogue and doesn't vote for the guy he was selected for and there is no real legal way to force any of them to. The reality is the constitution does not even require that the state legislators look at the popular vote at all. That is all in state law. We were very close to seeing that in action in Florida in 2000. The legislature could have refused to honor the recount, even if the SCOTUS had not stopped it. There is still an argument about whether the SCOTUS even had jurisdiction. The showdown could have easily been between the Fl courts and the legislature. The reality is that if it was not resolved one way or the other by Jan 6, the House would have selected the president and the Senate would have selected the VP. We could have ended up with Bush/Lieberman.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Depends on the state. 24 of them have laws that say who they must vote for with penalties for not doing so, In 1952, the constitutionality of state pledge laws was brought before the Supreme Court in Ray v. Blair, 343 U.S. 214 (1952). The Court ruled in favor of state laws requiring electors to pledge to vote for the winning candidate, as well as removing electors who refuse to pledge.

That is true but if an elector says "come and get me copper" I am not sure the EC can ignore his vote. I suspect the best the state could do was withdraw his vote and go with one fewer electors.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That would probably depend on the specific method to choose electors used by the state and that state's election laws. Those appointed by the party leadership could probably be fair easily removed and replaced if the state laws allowed such things (and I don't even want to paw through 50 states worth of election law to see). Those chosen by the the party's convention might be a little dicier.