nylon or polyproylene

Quick question.
Which is stronger,nylon or polypropylene rope?

If we have samples at home, we can easily test them against each other (splice loops in both, interlace loops, apply tension until one fails. If not at the splice, the broken cord is the weaker.)
If we have no samples, we might as well ask someone who sells rope.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

You left out way too much information for anyone to give an intelligent answer.
What diameter?
What type of construction?
Do you need tensile strength, shear strength? some elasticity? No elasticity?
What will it be used for?
Is UV exposure and issue?
That's for starters.
no one wrote:

Nylon, given same size and construction. Polypropylene is (IMO) a lousy rope material...only nice thing about it is that it floats.
The strongest rope materials are nylon and Dacron (polyethylene). Use nylon if you want stretch (dock lines), Dacron if you don't (sheets).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Actually strongest rope materials are Kevlar aramid and Spectra gel spun polyethylene. Nylon and Dacron have about the same tensile strength. Polypropylene is generally weaker. Choice would depend on end use.
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 02:02:10 +0100, no one wrote:

Nylon is stronger. If you compare the same type of rope such as twisted, you will find that nylon is always stronger. For example: for 1/2 inch, poly tensile strength is 3780 lbs, nylon 5750 lbs.

    Under what conditions? Sun exposure, tight bends, exposure to sharp surfaces, lots of flexing vs none, what gauge stands and how are the strands braded?
    Take some of each and try it out in your application.

The real problem with poly rope is the sun will tear it up pretty fast. In Florida I wouldn't expect it to last a year outside before it degraded to the point that it was 50% strength. YMMV in more moderate UV exposure
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I put a black Nylon rope on my 24' extension ladder some years ago. I keep it on top of the van and the rope is as good as new. I see so many ropes on extension ladders disintegrate when pulled and most of them are white polypropylene.
TDD

Dude, hemp is organic and all natural. Stop smoking that weed and use it for rope.
RicodJour wrote:

Nylon
--

dadiOH

Which is stronger hemp or nylon rope?
Phisherman wrote:

My hippie friend has smoked hemp but I'll have to ask him about Nylon.
TDD
Phisherman wrote:

Nylon is much stronger. There was a story about a tugboat that would pull too hard and break the rope and keep their end. When they tried this on a nylon rope it nearly slingshoted them back to the vessel that tossed them the rope.
Hemp also rots, either rope or smoker's brain.