NYC dumpster diving for food

Page 3 of 4
Was that the Mormon Rambo, who used all the bottles for machine gun practice, with tracers?
Personally, you can do that, but a business must dump stuff considered contaminated. Flood, fire, for anything in the store goes, long term power outage required disposal of perishables.
Some years ago a liquor store in town had a fire. Everything had to go. The good news, a friend of mine ran the town dump at the time.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 3, 8:06 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I'd take a couple of shots.
Add pictures here
✖
Oh, that double entendre was painful.
BIG GROAN.

I'd take a couple of shots.
Add pictures here
✖

LOL. <hic>.
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video /#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571
Dumpster diving is pretty common in NY, it doesn't take a storm.
Speaking of, I had walked out of a gas station. Heard this cry for help coming from behind a fenced in area, where the dumpster is kept. Skeptical, I walked over cautiously thinking it may be a set up to get me mugged! Anyways, a woman said please help me. She was in the dumpster, there were some crates in front of the dumpster. She was a VERY large woman, probably 350lbs +, stuck in the dumpster. Apparently she was trying to retrieve cardboard boxes, reached in too far, and fell in, and noway to get out.
I let the fire dept handle it, didn't want to get dragged in there, she might have eaten me!
Add pictures here
✖

That's true. I was drving down 2nd avernue in the 20's and I saw a big, though not very tall dumpster filled almost to the brim with books. I parked. There were 3 or 4 guys in the dumpster gooing through the books and I joined them. They were on just about every topic. Other people stood and watched and some of them would point to a book now and then and ask one of us to get it for them.
I got 15 or 20 books that day, and I went back 2 of the next 3 days and got 15 more, all very interesting. The pile of books kept going down, (so there were far more people doing this than the four of us the first day) although whoever was cleaning out a warehouse might have been adding more.

LOL I still raid dumpsters in Baltimore, expecially for tv's and electrical things -- one year I found five good electronic things in the one nearest my house the day after Xmas -- which I can usually fix if I actually take them. Some are barely broken. But when I'm serious and the dumpster is deep, I bring a 3 step step-ladder, with a weight attached to some nylon twine attached to the ladder. I throw the weight into the dumpster, climb up the ladder and climb in, then I pull the ladder in with me. When it's time to leave I do the opposite.
I almost forgot. Once I found an electric wheelchair next to the dumpster, not just a scooter but a medical one, with a joystick and a headrest and something special for one leg . I couldn't push it home, and I couldn't handle it when I pushed the stick forward and walked behind it, so I had to sit in it and ride it home (300 feet) The battery was fully charged! I called a guy I know of who runs a medical supply house and he came over and looked at it and said it was 3000 dollars new and still worth 1000 dollars. He told me to call the MS society (or was it the MD society) and I did and they came and got it, and they'll lend it to people who need it.,and they also took one of those bars that hang over the bed so a person can pull himself up, which was there too.
I think I had seen the guy who used it. He'd be outside sitting in the sun once in a while when I drove by, sometimes with another guy in a wheel chair. I waved but never stopped to talk. I think he died and the apartment building janitor just threw the thing away without thinking someone could use it. It just needed replacing of some of the foam rubber and its cover.

Best to be cautious.

Add pictures here
✖
Felix wrote:

The Federal Government is on the case.
Emergency regulations promulgated by FEMA now require dumpster owners to post a sign on their dumpsters listing the dumpster's contents with regard to edible items, clothing, and other emergency needs. This should eliminate the kind of problem you encountered.
Further, OSHA has taken it upon itself to issue similar regulations regarding the ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act. When a dumpster contains victuals or other needed items, it will be incumbent on the dumpster owner to provide a wheel-chair accessible ramp.
Add pictures here
✖

You forgot to mention that the "Menu" must include calories, fat and sodium content.

✖
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You may be right; I didn't read that far.
Wonder if the California dumpsters have to include cancer-warning posters?
Add pictures here
✖

Make sure there are no cups larger than 16oz.
Add pictures here
✖
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Compassion usually involves empathy and assistance for those experiencing adversity through circumstances not of their making.
On the other hand was the fat lady on TV, arrested for shoplifting, who said: "If de government would be given me mo' money, I wouldn't have to be stealin'."
Add pictures here
✖

With just a bit of parphasing one could find much the same quote from a few Wall Street Bankers.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 12:21:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools

Don't confuse Stormin' with a survivalist.
He's an idiot and a racist.
And those are his good points.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/3/2012 11:31 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

What's a "racist"? Could you define the word? Most folks I come across who call someone "racist" don't know what the word means. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yes they do. It's anyone who disagrees with them.
Take Obama. To his supporters, his policies are so clear, cogent, and convincing that no one smarter than a muskrat could find fault. That these fools DO object, when there's no rational reason to do so, MUST mean that their objection has to do with race.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

I'd guess about .0001%. However, over 10% are Carribean or African blacks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 00:11:03 -0500, The Daring Dufas

How about someone that judges others by their race instead of by their merits and flaws.
Today stromin' posts: If a Mexican tree falls in the woods, and no one hears it fall on a black guy, did it increase our welfare rolls?
A few months go he said he would appease his trailer park neighbors by offering them basketballs and fried chicken.
Perpetual snipes at blacks and Mexicans with the occasional zinger for Asians.
That's, of course, between pompous posts about how a survivalist must integrate with their community and work with their neighbors constructively. Classic split personality - or classic usenet troll - or child that babbles the first thing that pops in their head. Take your pick.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 12:58 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

I think you may have meant to write "someone who" but still, you haven't defined "racist". You wrote a lot nothing that proves you have no idea what the word actually means. Jokes in bad taste don't define "racism". Now let's see if you can define "race"? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 13:40:09 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Apparently you will perpetually reject any replies and repeat your question ad infinitum. Without ever saying what you think it is. Sorry, too much to do to play your games.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 2:05 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

No silly, you continue with your P.L.L.C.F. codswallop when I asked you for your definition of "racist". It's typical of your ilk to deflect and refuse to answer simple questions. Admission of the correct meaning of your favorite Politically Incorrect labels for those you oppose in the arena of political ideology, will prove that you use the words in a manner that is incorrect. You can never admit that you are wrong and quite ignorant in the meaning of the language you should be proficient in. It might lead others to think you're a complete idiot and we can't have that, now can we? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖