NYC dumpster diving for food

Most of the jars I see these days have a plastic strip and a foil seal hot/ultrasonically welded to the top of the jar. Personally, I would just wash out the tops with soap and water. The foil/plastic seal should keep contamination out of the food. Of course, most of the jars I've seen with the seal are the unbreakable plastic jars but I doubt I would have a problem with the glass jars. The plastic that you must peel off around the glass jar lids seem to be capable of keeping contaminates out from under the lids. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Which..is utter bullshit. Simply fill a garbage can with bleach water, dump in your jars and cans, let em soak for a couple minutes, remove and let dry..and they will be just fine.

If the cap on a jar is still sealed..still has the depression in it..the only bugs one needs to worry about are on the outside. So wash em down and they will be fine.

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

If you think on it, almost anything with a high acid content should be immune to biological contamination at room temperature: Mustard, pickles (relish), catsup, etc.

This is not the same for chemical reactions. For example, catsup will turn into a Phillips screwdriver (or something) if left unsued for months.

Reply to
HeyBub

Personally, you can do that, but a business must dump stuff considered contaminated. Flood, fire, for anything in the store goes, long term power outage required disposal of perishables.

Some years ago a liquor store in town had a fire. Everything had to go. The good news, a friend of mine ran the town dump at the time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Was that the Mormon Rambo, who used all the bottles for machine gun practice, with tracers?

.

Personally, you can do that, but a business must dump stuff considered contaminated. Flood, fire, for anything in the store goes, long term power outage required disposal of perishables.

Some years ago a liquor store in town had a fire. Everything had to go. The good news, a friend of mine ran the town dump at the time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd take a couple of shots.

Reply to
Thomas

Oh, that double entendre was painful.

BIG GROAN.

.

I'd take a couple of shots.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have to remember that in that area, for every NYC bus crash, more people file injury claims than the bus can carry.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Gunner, some folks are just plain silly and if those people so afraid of a little contamination were to wind up in a life and death survival situation, I'm sure many of them would eat dirty worms to survive. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Old days? I've never refrigerated my butter dish.

I'm over 60 and have never experienced rancid butter. A week at room temp will not hurt commercial, salted butter. [Maybe it would be different with home made or unsalted.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Worms aint dirty. my mamma showed e how to make sausages out of them.

Reply to
terryc

Compassion usually involves empathy and assistance for those experiencing adversity through circumstances not of their making.

On the other hand was the fat lady on TV, arrested for shoplifting, who said: "If de government would be given me mo' money, I wouldn't have to be stealin'."

Reply to
HeyBub

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

LOL. .

Reply to
PeterD

Indeed. Im fascinated by some of the interviews with the Blue Staters from the effected areas. They obviously have had life far far too easy and have little common sense. Damned little survival instinct.

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

Here in Alabamastan in 2011 we had a flock of tornadoes come through and tear the place up. People started calling into the Conservative talk radio shows offering to help anyone in need. It took off with good neighbors, businesses and churches springing into action before any government agencies even woke up. People from up North sent help and donations too but I sort of doubt it was from the types who are looting and complaining about the government not helping. The evil, selfish, rich Conservatives used the radio talk shows as a defacto clearing house to organize and get assistance to those in need. The urban stations were busy telling their listeners where to call or go to get government help. It was an amazing real life demonstration of the differences in culture and mindset of the people. The circus got good when FEMA showed up handing out checks and food stamps. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's Milk of Magnesia but still a good joke.

Reply to
NotMe

One old lady in S. Louisiana said 'what don't kill ... fattens. I ain't dead yet and could afford to lose a few pounds.

Reply to
NotMe

I worked with a few outreach groups doing IT work (pro bono) there are a lot of business that donate stale dated food. Which is still good but taste like sh*t. What most don't know is each and every one takes the full MSRP off their taxes as a charitable donation. This is not supposition as we would get the IRS in the office every so often to check on the donation.

Reply to
NotMe

With just a bit of parphasing one could find much the same quote from a few Wall Street Bankers.

Reply to
NotMe

Don't confuse Stormin' with a survivalist.

He's an idiot and a racist.

And those are his good points.

Reply to
Winston_Smith