NYC dumpster diving for food

Page 2 of 4
On 04/11/12 00:22, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Worms aint dirty. my mamma showed e how to make sausages out of them.
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 08:22:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Indeed. Im fascinated by some of the interviews with the Blue Staters from the effected areas. They obviously have had life far far too easy and have little common sense. Damned little survival instinct.
Gunner
-- "
On 11/3/2012 10:04 PM, Gunner wrote:

Here in Alabamastan in 2011 we had a flock of tornadoes come through and tear the place up. People started calling into the Conservative talk radio shows offering to help anyone in need. It took off with good neighbors, businesses and churches springing into action before any government agencies even woke up. People from up North sent help and donations too but I sort of doubt it was from the types who are looting and complaining about the government not helping. The evil, selfish, rich Conservatives used the radio talk shows as a defacto clearing house to organize and get assistance to those in need. The urban stations were busy telling their listeners where to call or go to get government help. It was an amazing real life demonstration of the differences in culture and mindset of the people. The circus got good when FEMA showed up handing out checks and food stamps. ^_^
TDD

I worked with a few outreach groups doing IT work (pro bono) there are a lot of business that donate stale dated food. Which is still good but taste like sh*t. What most don't know is each and every one takes the full MSRP off their taxes as a charitable donation. This is not supposition as we would get the IRS in the office every so often to check on the donation.
On 11/3/2012 11:24 PM, NotMe wrote:

The folks offering help didn't do it for a tax break, they and the companies like tree trimming crews volunteered their time. I'm disabled somewhat so I couldn't join the big help party but I was able to help my immediate neighbors and give rides to folks who ran out of gas or needed to get somewhere. I remember the event because I was in the hospital with pneumonia when the storms and tornadoes hit. O_o
TDD
Gunner wrote:

Said the fat woman in handcuffs: "If de govenmint would gib me mo' money, I wouldn't be havin' to steal!"

dead yet and could afford to lose a few pounds.
On 11/3/2012 11:19 PM, NotMe wrote:

Country boys will say that they'll kill it and eat it before it does the same to them. ^_^
TDD

Folk in S. Louisiana make better lovers ... they'll eat anything.
As for me and mine we'll eat anything that won't eat us first and a few things that will.
On 11/4/2012 12:23 AM, NotMe wrote:

The drill sergeant barked at the recruits, "If it moves fuck it, if it sits still, paint it!" ^_^
TDD
And if it doesn't fit these two qualities, paint it OD green.
The drill sergeant barked at the recruits, "If it moves fuck it, if it sits still, paint it!" ^_^
TDD

Following Katrina some food stores (Wal Mart) told folk to take what they needed/could use. Down side on the can goods ... no labels.
A few in the media and a lot of the far right claimed it was 'looting'.
Friends who are in the insurance adjusting business mentioned that much of their looting claims came from merchants that were flooded out. Odd coincidence that.
On 03/11/12 07:53, NotMe wrote:

We had food factories that sold boxes of damaged cans like that. You knew it was canned fruit, but it was unknon until you opened it. Unfortunately, not too many people tolerated that method as a choice for dessert.

I wonder how that 50" TV tasted.

As I said many of the claims for looting were from merchants that were also flooded. Funny but some only had looting on the first floors but none on the second ... that was unless the water was really high.

Just out of curiosity do you have anything other than the ramblings of an adjuster or two to back this up?

Because baterial is in all the nooks and crannies of the jar lids.
And, the NYC refugees and homeless aren't likely to have a bleach solution to kill the baterial.
Baterial? Must be funetic spelling.
Because baterial is in all the nooks and crannies of the jar lids.
On 11/2/2012 3:54 PM, PeterD wrote:

Most of the jars I see these days have a plastic strip and a foil seal hot/ultrasonically welded to the top of the jar. Personally, I would just wash out the tops with soap and water. The foil/plastic seal should keep contamination out of the food. Of course, most of the jars I've seen with the seal are the unbreakable plastic jars but I doubt I would have a problem with the glass jars. The plastic that you must peel off around the glass jar lids seem to be capable of keeping contaminates out from under the lids. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 23:49:01 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Personally, you can do that, but a business must dump stuff considered contaminated. Flood, fire, for anything in the store goes, long term power outage required disposal of perishables.
Some years ago a liquor store in town had a fire. Everything had to go. The good news, a friend of mine ran the town dump at the time.