Nutty California judge awards 1.6M over 2x4s not being 2" by 4"

On 09/16/2014 5:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

There is now a plentiful supply of router bits for the 32nd-under ply...

Reply to
dpb

Not really...from Georgia Pacific's pdf (to which I posted link upthread) at least their spec's are

? 15/32 CAT (3-ply), 0.451( (11.45 mm) ? 15/32 CAT (4-ply), 0.451( (11.45 mm) ? 19/32 CAT, 0.578( (14.68 mm) ? 23/32 CAT, 0.703( (17.85 mm)

which are neither even in metric _nor_ full-bore 32nd's. (I hadn't actually calculated the decimal before, had just thought it was but the CAT listing made me punch the calculator this time)...

Reply to
dpb

I found and read the actual judgment and injunction, and posted comments similar to yours regarding the actual facts.

so, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. yes, a single person DID read the fine print. :)

Reply to
Pico Rico

Or don't sell 2x4's that aren't.

"A Superior Court in Marin County California ordered Lowe?s, a nation-wide retailer and distributor of building products, to pay a $1.6 million settlement over a lawsuit alleging the inaccurate description of structural dimensional building products. Lowe's promoted lumber as 2x4 even though the wood measured less than 1.5 x

3.5 inches, the dimensional criteria established by industry standards"

Guess that's okay with the kneejerkers here. Buying a 2x4 that ain't. I would be pissed if I bought something advertised as a 2x4 and it didn't measure up to the others.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I expect this will be appealed.

It's just that Lowes has to pay a legal team a bunch of money to appeal that stupid decision.

Reply to
nestork

Lowes will not appeal. Read the decision - it makes perfect sense.

Reply to
Pico Rico

My apologies. I just looked through all the posts that appeared on my server and didn't see your comment, just a barrage of bilge about California's fruit and nuts and more of the same. Welcome to the funeral for critical thinking. Could you repost it for me so I can apologize a second time cuz I just reread all the posts on Eternal September (where the eff did that name come from??) and still don't see it?

What bothers me the most is that some people are so hard over that they don't even wonder why Lowe's would "roll over" if they were doing just what every retail lumber merchant in America is doing. Its bogus right out of the box. Sadly, it's the norm now. Its both sides doing it, too. Look at all the black people who think white cops shoot black kids for no reason other than they are black and believe, without evidence, he was surrendering with his hands up. Truth died right along with critical thinking.

Reminds me of the neighbor's kid (a comic book educated youngster) loudly insisting at a cookout this weekend that half of the Viking warriors were female. Immediately my BS detector went off just like it did here. That bogus rumor started from a tiny study that was based on the examination of

15 graves, and roughly half were women but there's no proof that they were warriors. Could be wives, could be slaves, could be captives, etc.

Just to get his goat and prove his knowledgebase was faulty I asked him if he could describe their helmets and he said "silver caps with horns." Another Hollywood myth. No horns on Viking helmets except in the comics and the movies. Where's that Brit guy Harry who always insisted Americans learned their history from the movies? Mayhaps the bugger had a point.

Oh, BTW, I am NOT wrong, wrong, wrong. You weren't one of the ones complaining and my statement was "not a single person complaining actually drilled down." You are excluded from that set of complainers. Elementary, Watson.

SH

Reply to
Sherlock.Homes

Loews has a long habit of selling heavily over cut lumber. So I expect there is more to the story and the judgement.

Reply to
NotMe

look up the origin of "Etermal September". It makes a lot of sense. You won't be disappointed.

My repost:

I'll be darned if I can copy the link properly, now that Google has gotten all smarty pants on us. But search for the actual injunction and judgment:

lowes-2x4-final-judgement.pdf.

It says nominal descriptions are ok. But I guess we are now faced with 2x4s on the shelves that are sub-nominal. Who knew?

You are correct, but then your statement was rather foolish "I suspect not a single person complaining actually drilled down to READ what this case was about." Suspect? You knew darned well!

Reply to
Pico Rico

I keep hearing about how bad big box stores are and that you should always go to a real lumber yard but I have had my share of crappy lumber there too. My wife ordered a bunch of lumber for a project at the club and of 50

2x6s, 16 of them had so much wane on the edges that they were unusable. There were a half dozen 2x10s that were too twisted to use. (out of 25). This was a "real" lumber yard, the biggest in Ft Myers Fla.

At least at HD/Lowes you can pick your own boards.

Reply to
gfretwell

You would think a republican would stand up for the big corporation.

Reply to
gfretwell

In this case, the republican stood up for common sense. read the actual decision.

Reply to
Pico Rico

I read several articles on this and I did not see what size this lumber actually was. They allude to the idea that it was not 3.5 x 1.5 but I see no actual measurements.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah, they are metric. I said that

Reply to
gfretwell

Er, no:

"Perez said the problem arose when California inspectors found that Lowe's advertised dimensional building products under nominal descriptions when they didn't actually fit the standards set forth by the NIST."

--K

Reply to
kerkira

You get what you are willing to pay for and 99.99% of Lowes customers are perfectly happy with what they are getting. When you are paying $2.94 for a 2x4 8 you can't expect it to be the same as a $5 2x4.

Reply to
gfretwell

The loons of a.h.r would rather rant than get their facts straight.

--K

Reply to
kerkira

Oh, crap! You mean it's not??

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Not surprising.

Unfortunately, when I ask my news reader to show me the previous post in a thread, it ignores my kf. First thing I see is some idiot getting all worked up and going off in to fantasy land.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Google is the 21st century answer to Eternal September.

gfretwell