NUTS

Page 1 of 2
OK...I needed a small nut with a bolt that fit 'cause the self-tapping screw needed to fix the final thing on the washer stripped. Hubby is at work. I went down to the scary and mysterious place called his workshop and started looking.
Just one question .....sort of a poll.
Do you keep a coffee can of nuts (of all sizes and types), and one of bolts (same combination) ? The cans started being filled by his grandfather, and I added my Dad's collection when he passed.
or
Do you keep them all together in one huge can
or
do you SORT them and PAIR them up and store them in smaller containers by size ranges??
Please separate your votes by male and female.
I want to know if asking hubby to assign some sort of order to the lair is asking too much.
Please, no cussing!
Debi
Debi wrote:

Ever heard of hell box? I have one, LOL! All I know is most of time I can find a piece I need in there.

That's three questions. And if you have to ask it, you shouldn't be in his shop.
Debi wrote:

One big can and alongside it is an empty, large tin basin for dumping and sorting. Keeps me in the shop in the shade on a hot day vice in and right back out to bend over a hot engine.
Harry K

Male responding.
Your husband is a busy man.
Like most of us there are sorted ones and the ones to be sorted when he has some spare time.
The unsorted bin is larger than the sorted ones.
Even if he had the time what would you say if he was in the shop playing with his nuts? :):))))
But never throw any of it away because for sure you will need that exact part before the month is over.
--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.
Debi wrote:

sorted is when there is a large quantity of one thing. Usually whats in the cans are the various odd and ends. Sometimes I find what I want, often I cant. Sometimes I go the hardware store thinking I need say a 10-24x1" machine screw. When I am there I often second guess myself. Is 1" really long enough? crap, maybe its not 10-24, better get 1/4-20 and 8-32 while I'm at it in 1", 3/4", 1-1/4" etc. Extra nut or two for each, a few washers. When I'm done I have spent $2.00 when I could have spent $.37.
I do this because I measure job complexity in number of trips to the store. I look at a job and say ah - thats a 2 trip job, or a 1 trip job or a zero trip job. I like zero trip jobs. The worst are 1 trip jobs that end up being 5 trip jobs.
Stay out of his shop.
coffee can? i got a five gallon bucket! no wait. two five gallon buckets.
marson wrote:

I have a little bit of everything. I have new boxes of the stuff I use a lot. Sometimes when I am really bored I will dump out some of my coffee cans and sort them into labelled drawers but I also have a roto bin rack that is just roughly sorted by which pocket I am dumping and what most of the screws are in that pocket. That's the one I use most for those "I just need a couple screws" projects. I always whine that I need to do a little more sorting but I never seem to find the time.
Thanks for all the interesting replies. There's a lot of diversity out there. We never throw any spare parts away - thats why we have Grandpa's and Dads nuts. Don't even go there:)
I can't stay out of "his" shop. You might have noticed that it was me putting the washer back together after removing the clutch assembly, having it rebuilt, and putting it back in.
Hubby has macular degeneration and will likely lose the rest of his sight in a couple years. He is only 55, and lost his driving priveledges this year. I'm doing work I never thought I could do, but have been learning a lot.
He can't see well enough to put a screw in the hole. Don't go there either:))
I was a chemist in industry for 26 years, and always was a bit obsessive about keeping an organized workspace. Dad taught me to clean my tools when I was done with them and put them back where I got them. I will not be using his favorite concept though, rest his soul...the pegboard with the outlines painted of what hangs there. Too much like chalk lines around a body (LOL)
I guess I will not whine about it, and work on it when I have "spare time". I like the concept of a "Hell Box". No matter how organized you get, there has to be one place to throw the things that just don't fit any category.
Thanks again for the lively discussion.. Debi
Debi Call you hubbys eye doc. My aunt is legally blind in one eye and they have a brand new treatment that MAY help your hubby. The perodic injection can help or may in some cases restore sight.
Debi wrote:

no labels were needed to find something on the shelf.

My "miscellaneous" stuff ends up in the bottom of a large tool tote for a few months at a time. Then, I start having nightmares about it and I sort it into one of those cabinets with little drawers. It still doesn't help - half the time I don't have exactly the hardware I need.
Debi wrote:

garage. Gorgeous wicker trunk in dining room is for the really big stuff - wrenches, pry bars, etc. Front closet for the average stuff, including duplicate power tools.

Those I inherited from my mother were, of course, sorted, put in jars, and arranged according to size. Almost time to dust them :o) Women, I am convinced, find things visually or by ESP. Men have a magnet that pulls them toward the needed item, as they NEVER know where they left it or where I put it when I put it away.

About as much chance as getting his approval to clean off the top of his dresser. Just did it recently, and filled a plastic storage bin with the refuse/tools/sales slips/ rusted Leathermans, etc.
The cold solderer he accused me of losing was on the back seat of my car. It either walked out there to go for a ride with me, or HE LEFT IT THERE!

Then don't stir up old enmity :o) Only cussing is when I ask "Where did you f------ leave it!!!!?!!??? :o)
MY tools are in bins under the bed in the guest bedroom, camouflaged with a dainty dust ruffle. He wouldn't go near them :o) My mom had her own workshop, until she died at age 82. Who has time to dig through hubby's pile of stuff to find a tool?

Some time ago, the local KMART had a sale on 1/2 pint and 1-pint square freezer containers. ( ten for a buck ??? )
I bought a bunch, built a wall-shelf to hold 'em. They're PERFECT !
They hold a fair amount of hardware, you can write on the front with a marker, they won't break if you drop 'em.
I've never understood why a guy'll spend hundreds of dollars for tools, but they'll dick around with jars, cans, and cardboard boxes to hold hardware.
BTW; I waited way too long, but I finally threw out all of my slotted wood screws.

<rj>

I keep them the same way my father did, in a paint roller pan. This way they can be spread out when searching through the pile.

I like all the neat ideas.
The nut and bold I found sort of worked. It threaded nicely just in my hand, but when put under tension to hold the clamp tight, it didn't tighten down. <sigh> One trip to home despot. I think I will try to sort them this summer when I am sitting outside on the porch...good light and a nice breeze. I have been feeding babyfood meat to the old cat (recovering from dental work) and have lots of babyfood jars.
Dad had a bunch of lids screwed to a 2x4 hanging in the shop, and just took down a jar when he needed what he could see what was in it, got out what he needed,and then screwed the jar bAck on the lid. He had big and little jars. The plastic boxes sound great for things too big to fit in the little jars. I guess seeing the jars put up like that brings back fond memories.
I'm gonna paint my 2x4 pink..LOL And a matching "hell box". :)
Hallerbe...he has the "dry" form of mac degeneration. They can't do anything about it yet, but Cornell is working on a computer chip eye implant that actually hooks into the optic nerve. I hope your aunt does well! Debi

25, 50, 100, CD/DVD containers. Screw the base to the underside of a cabinet, fill the cap, attach. Remove the spindle if desired.

don't know what standard issue is these days) IMHO, and others will disagree with me, glass is a bad idea for parts storage. When one breaks, and they WILL, those glass crumbs get in everything. And when you are pushing screws around on the bench with your fingers, looking for just the right one, a glass sliver is a very unpleasant suprise.
aem sends...