Number of wires needed for 3-way light and always on receptical

I want to mount a light and receptical on a 2X6 Pressure treated post at the end of my property. The distance is about 150 feet. I want to mount a 500 watt three way Halogen light that can be switched on at the light post itself or up at the house. I also want a receptical that will be mounted on the same pole as the light that will be always hot regardless of the switch state on the light. Power will be coming from the house. I will be running the wire in 3/4 conduit that is already in place. My questions are as follows:

How many wires need to be run through the conduit? What gauge should I use considering the length of the run and the desired wattage? Since I will probably need to use the colored stranded wire (as opposed to Romex) what is the proper colors to run in this situation.

Thanks.

David Jensen

Reply to
David Jensen

1 Neutral 2 Switched 1 Always Hot. (goes to hot on plug, plus common terminal on switch) 1 Ground.

I'd go with 12 gauge myself. Your best friend here is a voltage drop table. (do a google search on it)

Since the wiring is in underground conduit it will have to be rated for wet locations. All underground raceway systems eventually get water in them.

White for neutral. Black, red or blue for the hot and switched wires. Green for ground.

Personally, I'd use black for the always hot conductor, and red or blue for the two switched hot conductors. You could also run all black for your hots and just use colored tape (red or blue) at the ends to mark what is what.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Not to be talking to myself, but I shouldn't have said the always hot goes to the common terminal on the switch. It shouldn't. The common terminal of the switch on the pole should go to the light.

Essentially you're running an extra conductor (The always hot one) just for the sole use of the plug.

Reply to
Steve Smith

snipped-for-privacy@htn.net (David Jensen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

5 wires minimum - 1 ground, 1 neutral, 2 3-way switch travellers and 1 constant hot. Power would be run to the inside switch before heading outside.

Be careful not to overfill the conduit or run these wires with low voltage wires in the same conduit.

You didn't specify what will be powered off of the receptacle. There's information at this site about voltage drop calculations:

In particular, this page:

If I were doing it, I'd probably use 12 gauge for a 15 amp circuit and 10 gauge for a 20 amp circuit. I doubt upsizing is strictly necessary, however. The distance isn't that great.

Green, white, black, red and blue would be one good combination but green, white and 3 blacks would also be OK if you keep the blacks straight by marking them with tape or something.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

If the conduit is PVC, 5 wires will do it. (1) equipment grounding conductor (must to be green), (1) "neutral" (must to be white or gray), (1) "hot" (any color except green, white, or gray), and (2) travelers (any color except green, white, or gray). A 15 amp load on a #10 wire would put about 114 volts at the receptacle.

Reply to
volts500

I just did a similar install at my lake house, only I included a light over the garage, 2 post lights along the driveway, then the 3rd post light near the street. Each (except the light on the house) has an always-hot outlet, and the the street side post light has the 3-way. You need 5 wires in PVC.

Used a neutral, ground, a hot traveller, switchleg traveller and the common traveller.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Three #12 wires will do it, red, black and white. I'd also run a bare #12 or #14 ground even though you have conduit. Even using #14 wire you'd be within 5%.

Boden

David Jensen wrote:

Reply to
EL

I missed the rerquirement for a switch at both ends. Run 4, #12 wires, and a bare copper ground.

Boden

EL wrote:

Reply to
EL

Black - Always hot for the recepticle White - Neutral Bare - Ground (could be green if you prefer) Red - "Traveler" for the 3-way switch Black - "Traveler" for the 3-way switch (I don't know if it would be a code violation to use a different color, blue maybe, to distiguish between the always hot black wire?)

14 gauge is adequate for 500 watts, but I'd probably use 12 gauge considering the distance you have to run.

Be sure to use a weather proof switch and recepticle out at the post.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband