Now to break up concrete?

OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug). Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx

5'x4'x2' ? It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

Reply to
MF

Yep, except he then has to get rid of the debris somewhere.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is Turtle.

well son , You just made a Rock or Bolder and you have to treat it as a big rock you made. Dig a hole and roll it in it or tie a chain around it and drag it out to the country side and put it up as a land boundery marker or a tribute to yourself as a life long thing to remine you to not make anymore mistates like it ever again.

i just thought about this as you said at the waters edge. If it is a river or lake it is near , you can just tie it on to a boat and pull it out to deep water and let go of it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Don't start a new thread on the same topic, for starters.

RicodJour

jack hammer will make short work of this job.

Reply to
Punch

Save it for your grave marker. Seriously.

Reply to
EagleMtn

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:13:17 -0500 "Punch" posted:

That was my idea. :( The professional but uninsured guy doing sidewalks next door let me use his, and it wasn't difficult. I'm not very strong either. Usually when it was stuck I could pull it out, but a couple times the handle was even with my shoulders and it was hard to pull higher than my shoulders. I'm 5'8". I think electric jack hammers are shorter though. 4 minutes of this was enough to make me tired. (I"m 58, also.)

I'd rent the thing for a half day, and work on it for 5 minutes every hour or half hour, allowing time to recuperate. I didn't keep track, but I guess I did 2 to 4 square feet in 2 to 4 minutes.

Maybe there are other things you can do for the same rental. Dig your garden?

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I had one once about 5'x4'x4' and I ended up digging a big hole beside it and rolling it in. I often wondered if anyone every ended up digging it up and wondering why it was there. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Rent a tractor and drag it to some parking lot at night and leave it.

Reply to
User Example

I haven't any idea how to break it up; but what is a hunk of concrete that big for?

Reply to
Toller

On 9/8/2005 9:17 PM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

He wanted to break up the concrete block to get rid of it. I would think that he has considered where to take, or put the debris already.

Reply to
willshak

On 9/8/2005 11:40 PM US(ET), Toller took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Next to water, it could have been for a boat mooring.

Reply to
willshak

At 150 lbs per cu ft, I'd guess that thing weighs in at around 3 tons. The 'pull it out to deep water in a boat' idea has America's Funniest Home Videos written all over it.

Reply to
Ranieri

User Example wrote: ....

Don't even think such thoughts...the stuff I've had to pick up and haul off from the road ditches and fields from such folks... :(

And, of course, the "except" had no place in the other post as however it's done, there's a fairly sizable amount of stuff.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is Turtle.

I did not say pick it up but drag it. You say 3 tons is a too big of a weight to drag into the water. A New Cadillac is just about 3 tons. you then get a 150 horse power bass boat or even one of the 225 h.p. bass boats and tie on to it. You can drag the block of concrete or the Cadillac around all day in the lake till it jams between the tree or log jam. If you have ever seen what these 225 H.P. Bass boats can pull you would not say what you just said.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You could drill some holes in it and put in some M-80's and probbaly crack it into some smaller more managebly sized pieces. Try cutting it (even only part way through) and then hit it with the sledgehammer again. The cuts might weaken it enough to break.

Reply to
scott21230

I rented an electric jack hammer one day. I vowed to never use one again. Those things are back breakers if you aren't used to using them.

Reply to
User Example

You can drag a 3 ton slab of concrete around a lake bed all day with a bass boat? Wow. I had no idea.

Reply to
Ranieri

LOL

Reply to
Amun

Actually I'm just wondering how he knows ANY boat can drag a caddy around a lake bottom all day

AMUN

Reply to
Amun