Now that I have it narrowed to a Sears Kenmore - bag or bagless?

I'm getting the Sears Kenmore mainly to pick up cat hair and dust mites burrowed deep into an old carpet.

Some recommend the bagless Kenmore, but it seems to be a dirty task, with constantly emptying the cannister.

Am I correct?

They're listed here (looks like there's a new bag model 35922 & bagless model #35933. CR recommended the 35922 and 35923)

cleanfan00112

I have tried three or four bagless vacuume cleaners over the years (although not the particular model you have selected), and my opinion is that they simply don't work well enough. Maybe a Dyson is advanced enough to justify going bagless, but the lower end models (eg. everything else) simply aren't there yet. To get them to work effectively, you have to empty the interior chamber (including washing the foam filter, if the model has one) before you vacuume each time. That's a much greater inconvenience than a cord or a bag.

Maybe bagless vacuumes will be good enough eventually, to replace bagged cleaners, but they aren't that good yet, imho.

HTH,

Donna

Reply to
Donna

I like the idea of just taking out a bag and tossing it into the trash. Seems much neater than any bagless. Cost of bags is only a few dollars a year.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I recently bought a Hoover bagless and returned because of the mess and exchanged it for a bag type. My son has a Dyson bagless and it is not any better.

Reply to
Charlie

I don't mind the idea of using a bag, but does anyone have an implementation of that idea that isn't a royal PITA when changing them? Most bag vacs I've used have been very awkward in that area.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

What is the PITA about changing vacuum bags? I mean, you open the machine, swap out the dirty bag for a clean one, toss the dirty one and go. The biggest problem I have, is remembering which damn size to buy at the grocery store. I can never remember if I need H or Z or whatever. But other than that, I don't consider that changing the bag even begins to approach the frequency, complication and dirtiness of emptying the bagless kind. But perhaps you have a more complicated bagged model? Most of the ones I've used have been upright. They're simple to change bags on.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

And a major problem with the bagless type is that they don't handle pet hair well. The hair will work it's way into the filter and clog it up. Having sold them for Sears (before retiring), we usually did not recommend bagless if a customer owned pets.

Tom G.>

Reply to
Tom G

We currently have a Hoover model that uses "Z" bags a believe. You unfold the bag and press the cardboard hole in the bag over a horiziontal pipe facing straight out and the hole is near (but not at) the top of the bag.

You basically find the tube by feeling for it and there is no positive feedback that you have the bag inserted far enough over the tube. While getting the rest of the bag positioned for closing the compartment it is easy to dislodge the bag. Also when removing a full bag the horizontal not-quite-at-the-top design causes some spillage.

PITA might be somewhat overstating it, but it certainly doesn't strike me as a particularly well thought-out design.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:W2Fai.13373$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

Complete agree. Your comment helped me decide. As far as buying bags go, between Ebay and the rest of the net (Amazon, etc), you don't have to walk out your door to order the right one.

And that's mainly what I'm buying it for.

I have one of those portable Euroshark models, and the cannister/filter gets clogged very quickly with pethair.

Will the same thing happen with the Hepa filters on the recommended vacuums? Will they be clogged with pethair and have to be cleaned often?

Reply to
cleanfan00112

How funny -- I think we have the same vacuum cleaner.

Just wait until you start using the bagless vacumm. the bag changing process will begin to feel like a MOMA design award winner, compared to what you have to do to get the bagless ones to work well. We have both, and I refuse to use the bagless one, because it's a filthy, time-consuming job to clean the filter and foam liner well enough so that it picks up dirt adequately. I just hate it. YMMV, however.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Are you missing the spring that goes around that tube?

Then do it outside. Turn the vacuum over and all the dust falls on the ground. Where it goes after that, I don't know. :)

Got a better one? Maybe you can sell it to them.

Reply to
mm

The Dysan is way better to anything they sell at sears. I have a top of the line kenmore, I just bought for the upstairs, and a Dysan. Emptying the chamber could not be any easier and is zero mess. This is one thing that Dysan has figured out. You simply hold it over the garbage can and pull the trigger and all the contents fall into the garbage can. No mess at all. No bags, ever. Unless you are buying some cheap aftermarket paper bags, the Sears bags are 5 dollars apiece and with 2 dogs and a cat I would be lucky to have 1 bag last a week. Besides the Dysan does a much better job than the Sears on picking up hair.

Reply to
TH

burrowed deep into an old carpet.

constantly emptying the cannister.

#35933. CR recommended the 35922 and 35923)

I vote for bagless. One less item to hunt for, run out of etc. And what if they stop making the bags you need? I have no problem with gently emptying the dirt cup. I'd rather see what I need to empty than be guessing how full the bag might be.

Reply to
val189