now that 100w bulbs are gone, what are folks putting in the pump house?

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, August 22, 2014 9:44:01 AM UTC-4, alaska warmth wrote:

I bought enough 100 watt bulbs to last my lifetime. For our pump house, I have heat tape on the pipes and a heat lamp suspended overhead focused on the pump housing to keep it from freezing solid.
Paul
On 08/22/2014 09:44 AM, alaska warmth wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

you can get more money for them if you outfit a trench coat with a lot of internal pockets, then go hang around on a street corner.
On 08/22/2014 09:56 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Amazingly, I had the receipt in the bag so took them back today for a full refund... which I spent on other stuff of course.
On 8/28/2014 1:47 PM, philo wrote:

Gee, those probably went home with a store person. What a waste of a good bunch of bulbs, out of your hands.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 08/28/2014 01:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I found out that I like the CFL's and bought those Reveal bulbs for my wife's studio. Soon after I bought them, I converted the studio to full spectrum fluorescent...so I had no use for them.
Considering that I bought them last year..I think it great that they took the items back with no hassle.
On 8/28/2014 3:21 PM, philo wrote:

Be nice if you'd offered them to the folks on this list. You used the term "I" six times in your reply. Guess we all know who you consider most often.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 08/28/2014 05:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I I I I I I I I saw them on eBay for less money ...also:
Being retired I need to watch my money a little more carefully... and the refund paid for all the new supplies.

So do CFLs. I have CFLs in a lamppost. No complaint and I no longer have to replace the bulbs every nine months or so.
--
Dan Espen

Some of the older CFL's took forever to reach full power, if ever. Vast improvement since the originals. OTOH, I just put an LED floodlight above the garage. Nice light! (but $24)

Yep, have LEDs in my ceiling fixtures in the kitchen. Similar prices as yours but the quality of the light is outstanding.
--
Dan Espen

Alaska,
The ban seems to ban far less than most folks think. You should be able to buy 60 watt. Put a bunch of them in the pump house.
Dave M.

I think I bought a couple 200-300 waters in case I needed them for heat, mostly for series insertion when trouble shooting electronics.
Greg

I have LEDs in the kitchen ceiling fan/light, all the hall lights, my basement office, all the bedroom ceiling lights, and most of the lamps in the house. Have not paid more than $8 each for any of them (bought using discount cupons from hydro and online from China.Some of the Chinese stuff wasn't worth what I paid for it - some has been excellent.
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 20:31:26 -0400, "David L. Martel"

Heat lamps are not affected either - so just buy a heat lamp.

Indeed! Some folks actually started an operation and started to advertise a product called "Heatball". They had a nicely designed website on which they explained that a "Heatball" is a small electric heating device, that more or less accidentally also emits light. People could actually place orders - the folks themselves obviously ordered a truckload of (of course) ordinary light bulbs that had the brand "heatball" printed on them from some foreign country where light bulbs were still legal.
Unfortunately, the customs office didn't let these "heatballs" enter Germany, claiming they were just light bulbs, which were no longer a legal product to sell. The heatball guys even published the letters they exchanged with the customs office on their website - kind of funny how they explained that customs must have made a mistake, as a lightbulb is not a light bulb, but a heating device, and clearly marked as such.
I actually ordered two heatballs myself two years ago, but never got them delivered due to the product being blocked from entering Germany. I didn't really need them - neither for lighting purposes, nor for heating - but I found that whole operation quite funny, so I though I'd support these guys with an order of my own. :-)
Greetings, Nils