now that 100w bulbs are gone, what are folks putting in the pump house?

Page 1 of 2
Now that we can't get 100 watt bulbs, what are folks planning to use to heat the pump or well house?
On 08/22/2014 8:44 AM, alaska warmth wrote:

"rough service" 100 W incandescents are still available, but I just stocked up on regular bulbs before the ban. Figure I've got 10 yr or more before needs must worry. (But, the pump house itself here has gas heater; I keep the incandescent bulbs primarily for the barn and other outbuildings for winter when the warmup for the CFLs is just so annoying or they don't light fully at all (altho the latter is less frequent now than with the originals)...

On 8/22/2014 9:54 AM, dpb wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-ADAPTOR-SPLITTER-DUAL-Y-TYPE-/321441677651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad76ac153
With two sixties, I'm saving energy and preserving the planet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/22/2014 9:54 AM, dpb wrote:

Have you tried LED in the cold? Now that the price is coming down, I'm switching to at least some LED bulbs and I like the daylight version as it is a brighter whiter light.
On 08/22/2014 10:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Actually, no, I haven't. They'd been so pricey I'd not just for that reason but they have come down. They'd be nice in the summer but in winter the heat doesn't hurt, anyway...
But, it's a worthwhile suggestion...maybe I will try one or two in the locations that are just general usage so there's no real reason for local heating.

On 8/22/2014 11:20 AM, dpb wrote:

I got a couple off Ebay, 5 watt "corn cob" and 2 watt "flood". They don't put out enough light to be useful. I'd try one or two, and see if they are useful before buying several. DAMHIKT.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/22/2014 11:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

2 watt flood? In my bathroom I put 800 lumen (60W equiv.) and I think they are 9W. In a three light fixture they are quite bright.
On 8/22/2014 3:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds a lot more successful than what I tried. Thank you for sharing what works.
Might try that, next time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, August 22, 2014 11:18:10 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LEDs work fine in cold
On 08/22/2014 08:54 AM, dpb wrote:

LOL
I bet a bought a 20 year supply of those 100 watt incandescent bulbs because I really liked those "Reveal" type.
Then decided to go CFL and full spectrum fluorescent.
Think I will put them on Craig's list and get rid of them
alaska warmth wrote:

When Germany banned incandescents, that was the end run. "This is a 100W portable heating element. The fact that it emits light is entirely incidental."
message

I think 60 watts are banned too, so I saw a big stack of 54 watt bulbs at a hardware store. There are probably 94 watt bulbs out there.
On 8/22/2014 10:23 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

Dollar Tree, near me, had a sign over the 60 watt bulbs, closing out, and no more stock to be had.
First they came for the 100 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak out because I didn't use 100 watt light bulbs.
Then, they came for the 60 watt light bulbs.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 08/22/2014 9:23 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Yeah, for those locations where the heat is a desired output. I've been afraid to put the halogens in the barn for flammability worries. Probably unwarranted concern, but...

On 8/22/2014 11:24 AM, dpb wrote:

I'd not want to risk it. Halogens are a fire risk.
The other guy uses ceramic heater with thermostat, that sounds safer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I need the heat, not the light, so I use a 120V 500 watt baseboard heater by Cadet:
http://tinyurl.com/lg38len
I added the built-in thermostat and a line cord so I can just plug it into the wall:
http://tinyurl.com/nw46klw
Even though the heater consumes 500 watts, the thermostat ensures it only comes on when it is needed. Of course, insulating the pump house helps with that.

You can still buy 100w A19 lamps in 130v. I bought a box of them at Home Depot recently. When run at 120v they will be a bit lower power but they last a very long time. My line voltage Cruises around 124 so I really need 130v bulbs.
On 08/22/2014 10:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

We also use 130V mostly, as well, owing also to extended life obtained...

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:44:01 +0000, alaska warmth

Two 60w bulbs using one of these (Amazon.com product link shortened)08732640&sr=1-1&keywords=light+bulb+y+adapter