Now I need to finish a bench. I would be grateful for suggestions.

I just built a nice strong bench with MDF for my metalworking vice and have no Poly or any other durable finishes around. I do have oil based and wash up in water fence and deck stains and I'm wondering if these will work to protect the MDF from the odd splash of water. I would love to get this done today so I can mount my vice and get to hobbying without the costly and time consuming 3 hour trip to town. I have Briwax as well if that will help.

Anything (paint/stain) properly applied will help.
I put sheet Formica/plastic laminate on my last bench. It really helped keep the messes under control.

cover that half with sheet metal. I've been working my ass off getting everything ready before the snow flies anytime now and being a hour from town makes running for stuff a really pain. I'm using what I have on hand to avoid those trips.:)
snipped-for-privacy@no.address.here says...

Net lag is greater than 3 hours ....