notching basement stringers to accomodate new wall?

Finally working on plans for finishing the basement, and have run into a minor detail. We want to put up a wall running beside the center I-beam. Problem-The stringer for the basement stairs runs within a quarter inch of the top of the I beam. I\ \

Is it acceptable to notch the bottom of the stringers so we can fit the top plate into that space? The stringers are 2X12, and I would need to cut a notch the size of a 2X4 for the top plate.

Comments? Suggestions?

TIA

Mike remove X's for email

Reply to