Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles

I have a really old carving set that's come down from my grandfather to me. The handles have narrow, longitudinal cracks. Can these be repaired and, if so, how? I'm worried that using glue and clamping will damage the horn. Any and all ideas appreciated.
Bob
If its old - antique and you mean wood carved, than any unnecessary or unprofessional repair will reduce their value. Check their value first, go to an antique shop. Longitudonal cracks dont mean reduced strength or mean repairs are necessary or desired. After all , its probably an antique , age is what sells and is desireable.

Have them checked out, if in fact they are antiques you should probably put them away and protect them. A new set probably will work better and the cracks don't get any worse on the antiques.