Not rain gutters, but something....

I've decided that my new house doesn't really need rain gutters. I'm in Southern California, get very little rain except in the winter, have no basement, and have substantial eaves draining water away from the exterior walls. However... my front porch has a small roof of its own, probably no more than four feet in depth. It's just shallow enough that people standing on the porch waiting for the door to be opened are exposed somewhat to the dripping off the porch roof. I don't really want to put a raingutter on my porch roof, but I would like something to sort of divert the sheets of water from the center front edge of the roof. Is there some sort of device that would divert or funnel water rolling down the roof away from the center edge, letting it pour off the left and right edges of the porch roof? And if there is such a thing, what's it called? | ______________ | | / \\ | | / ? \\ | | -------------------------------- | | || ----- || | | || | | || | | || | *| || | -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Beaver

This was talked about in an episode of TOH. What Silva did was to make a diverter out of flashing metal and install it on the edge over a door. In your case it would go on the edge of the roof over the door. It was made of 2 pieces of straight flashing each about 30", and bent at about 75 degrees (not quite an L). They were mounted kind of like an upside down V over the door. They met in the center over the door and the edges were mitered to make a peak. The angle of the V was about 160 degrees.
Greetings,
In my area code requires gutters. Perhaps yours doesn't.
Hope this helps, William