northern california skilled labor rates

i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering if anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per hour rates for the following trades: finish carpentry plumbing electrical i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how much to expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock. thanks, c

Reply to
Chris Miller

Plumbing where I am...around $70.00 per hour for minor things like replacing faucets, a major break in my sprinkler system, replacing all the pipes cost $3500.00. Snaking the lines cost $300.00. Electrical has been pretty expensive I think. $175.00 to put plug in, $200.00 to put a range hood in. I'm close to Sacramento, so I'm sure it's much more in the Bay Area. I imagine they will give you an estimate of the whole job though, at least they did to me. Ask for a written estimate, and agree to be consulted if it's going to run over cost.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Checkbook magazine rates and ranks local trades people by collecting and analyzing survey data from subscribers and other members of the public. The forums on Craigslist.org also discuss these issues, but in my opinion the discussions there are much more anecdotal and therefore less reliable. By the way, I paid $90/hour for a plumber to do a number of minor repairs last month; many neighbors said that was cheap these days. Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR