Non-Vented Standard Range Hood - Paint or Install New One

I have recently replaced my oven/range unit (now white instead of almond color) and now need to do something with the non-vented standard range hood (has light and fan) above it. I can either paint it white or replace it with a similar hood.

Need some help making a decision what to do

1) What is involved in painting it white? Can I assume I can get some white paint at a place like Home Depot to paint metal, and after cleaning the hood good and using masking tape, apply the paint? 2) If I purchase a new hood, is the installation relatively difficult or simple? I see that there are 3 screws that attach the hood to the cabinet. Once I open the circuit breaker, and take out the screws, can I assume the hood will drop down and I would then just disconnect the electric wire connections between the hood and the source of electrical current? Then connect and install the new hood?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and helping my make my decision.

Reply to
Les

Pretty much that simple. You can buy spray paint. Done right, it will look very good, done wrong, it will look like a home made job. Cost to find out is probably $5. Small risk, potentially great reward.

Pretty much it for most of them.

May be minor variations, but essentially, you've got it.

If it is in otherwise good condition, I'd try the paint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Non-vented are easy, come out pretty much like you said. Just for laughs, I'd try painting it before you buy a new one- all you have to lose is ten bucks for paint, and some time. Don't try to paint it in place- it'll never stick. Take it down, take it outside, and degrease the hell out of it. A kiddie pool and a long soak in Simple Green or similar, otherwise scrub, rinse, and repeat till Q-tips in the corners come up pristine. Pull off all the non-painted parts, of course. There are years of cooking grease in every little nook and cranny. Then scuff up the paint, and spray it like you would a car fender, including a coat of primer. My brother did that to the hood in our Grandmothers old house before we sold it, and it came out looking like a factory paint job. I visit the house once a year or so (we sold it to some family friends), and the hood still looks great after 8 years.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I've done both recently.

Painted one for a friend. Went from avocado to black. Did his hood and range top to match. Came out great, although the range hood was porcelainized originally and was very difficult to get to rough up to get an anchor pattern. The hood was easy, however.

I did use Dupont centurian, which is an automotive enamel, and I have spray equipment. Not sure how it would come out with spray cans and wouldn't advise brushing.

An earlier poster is right. Five bucks and a little time you might come out OK. If not, $75-120 for a new >I have recently replaced my oven/range unit (now white instead of almond

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I you happen to have a paint gun & compressor setup, I bet it works great if you first remove it. If not then it will probably look like crap if you use cans or brush on paint.

Reply to
scott21230

I don't think it matters if the paint is from a can. I think it's the person painting. I has to be really clean or stripped of the paint. I had great results with a can. I was able to obtain a gloss finish with very little orange peel finish. Patience is important when painting with a can.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John