Non-Stick Surface On Steam Irons

Do they still use teflon, or is there a better type of material on the soleplate of steam irons?

Reply to
Mary

RicodJour

If you need anything but shiny metal, it means you're doing something wrong before the clothes even reach the iron.

1) Too much detergent and whatever goop you add along with it, like fabric softener. 2) Too many clothes per load, which makes #1 even worse since the substances are harder to rinse out. 3) Washing in cold water, with a machine which isn't designed to add a bit of hot water to keep the cold water at a temperature where rinsing will be effective. My washer does this. I have no idea how common the feature is in other models.

The factors above will leave residue in the clothing and it can end up on the sole plate of the iron.

Finally:

4) Too high a temperature when using the iron.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They use various non-stick materials. Some Teflon, I'm not sure about others.

I buy four irons at a time to use for sealing plastic bags used in our shop. Over the years, I've found Black & Decker to have the best quality non-stick, although the present models are not as good as the ones from 10 years ago. Our use is industrial so I don't know how that compares with ironing your laundry.

As a side note, I've never had an iron burn out from use and some are in use

16 to 24 hours a day. They get dropped and stop though.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're bagging pot, aren't you? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You got that right! I have zero "non-stick" pans in my kitchen. Am amazed that after all the recent publicity about the dangers involved, that stores are still selling them and people still going for the stupid "easier to clean" marketing that made them popular in the first place.

Makes you wonder just how out-of-touch most consumers are -- and not just the poor and ignorant, but those who should know better.

Piggy-backing on this topic: I have also gone to all-glass storage containers, away from plastic, which also exudes bad stuff, esp. when used to re- heat food.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You got that right! I have zero "non-stick" pans in my kitchen. Am amazed that after all the recent publicity about the dangers involved, that stores are still selling them and people still going for the stupid "easier to clean" marketing that made them popular in the first place.

Makes you wonder just how out-of-touch most consumers are -- and not just the poor and ignorant, but those who should know better. ==============

If newsgroup denizens are any indication, roughly half the American public reads absolutely nothing. They get their "news" from television. Some even believe that TV news is much less biased than newspapers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They are *not* dangerous. We don't have them any longer but not because they're dangerous. Good SS pans are just better.

You must be scared shitless of overhead power lines and cell phones.

You are the epitome of ignorant.

Yep. Pig-ignorant. You must not be able to sleep at night with all of those evil business people after you.

Reply to
krw

Interesting. Are you saying that plastic products (sold for use with food & drink)....

- Do not exude certain chemicals which might not be healthy

- Used to exude these chemicals, but not any more

- Never did exude certain chemicals which might not be healthy

???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"exude", "certain", "chemicals", might. Yep, we've found another delusional paranoid idiot.

Reply to
krw

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I have two and will continue to use them for years to come. I don't over heat them. I like them for certain cooking One of those pans is a "Woll and it ranks right up with my Falk copper pans for cooking ability. The other is a cheapie and I fry my egg in it most mornings.

When properly used, no danger has been proven.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You've just confessed to reading almost nothing, and getting 99% of your news from television. You should be ashamed, but that would require that you be smart.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Says the idiot who believes "CBS News" and "60 Minutes" have something to do with reality.

Reply to
krw

...like AGW.

Some plastics aren't used for food contact.

Says the (well known) idiot Brit.

Says the *lying* idiot Brit.

More paranoid delusions. No surprises, coming from the paranoid Brit.

Reply to
krw

Nope. I never watch those source. I get little or no news from television. But I'm openminded, so I'm willing to consider information you may have. In a non-hysterical fashion, tell me why you believe that no plastics release substances which may be harmful. Please provide non-hysterical sources.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You protest too much.

You're so "open minded" that your brains fell out.

Hahahahaha! That's funny!

You're lying again.

No, you're the one claiming that plastics used for food are harmful. You made the outrageous claim. It's *your* job to back it up with outrageous evidence.

Reply to
krw

Actually, no. I didn't make that claim. Nobody can ever know if they're harmful unless they're tested in the same way as medicines, and that will never be done, just as it will never be done with products like lawn chemicals. All sentient adults know this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You *ARE* supporting that claim. Now, show us the evidence or shut up. The fact is that you're talking though your ass, as usual.

It's impossible to demonstrate the negative so it's up to you to put up or shut up.

Reply to
krw

Certain products kill bugs. We know they kill bugs. We can only extrapolate from that and assume they will harm or kill humans. Because these products can't be tested on humans to prove that they're harmful to us, would you ingest products which kill bugs?

Yes or no?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Like baking soda (NaHCO3).

Like baking soda (NaHCO3).

OMG, cookies will kill ya!

I like cookies. Yum!

You're showing exactly how stupid you really are. Nice job!

Reply to
krw