Non-round screws?

Is there any reason why the threaded part of a machine screw should not be perfectly round? I've seen several small ones (6-32, 4-40) that were slightly triangle shaped, and I'd like to know if this is just a sign of poor quality or if there's a legitimate reason for making them that way.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

Depends on where you got them. Sometimes, those are "thread cutting" screws, if they also have a slight taper as well. Great for sheet metal and most plastics. Just drill the right size hole, position the parts and screw it together; no tapping of threads necessary.

Reply to
Papa Koca

Usually those are 'self tapping' screws going into soft steel or plastic as far as I have seen.

Mike

larrymoencurly wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

See

Regards,

Ed White

larrymoencurly wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

sounds like the screws that they use in plastics... it cuts its own thread(ever see a tap... its not perfectly round also)... the reason why is so the cut material can fall out and not interfere with the threads..

Reply to
jim

Never seen that. Some have suggested a self tapping screw but it could only be that if the forward edge of the missing metal had sharp edges that would have a cutting effect. It sounds like your bolts are triangular with rounded edges? If so it must just be a poor quality bolt.

Reply to
tnom

Reply to
atec77>>

Please explain this process of self cleaning. Post a link if you have one.

Reply to
tnom

Following up my own post:

Search the page for ... "in a rounded triangular"

" Provides a thread-forming action with no tearing. The trilobular shape also provides an anti-loosening action. "

Reply to
tnom

Approximately 8/23/03 19:43, larrymoencurly uttered for posterity:

It could be poor quality, you can pretty much judge that by just looking at the things and whether they all look uniform or more like mutations of each other. Some of the self tappers I've come across were vaguely triangular, easier to use.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

You're right that these aren't self tapping. They're the chrome plated screws found on many computer cases and that go into holes that have already been tapped.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

If the screw taps its own threads how would you know the holes are already tapped?

Erich They are thread forming screws.

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Those are thread forming screws they use in some computer cases. Note the tapered end to get them started.

Mike

Mike Romain

I used to work in a fastener plant and one of our products was a small machine screw that was intentionally slightly triangular-shaped. I'm not sure what the purpose of this was, but it was definitely intentional (as it's harder to make one like that than it is to make one perfectly round.)

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Tri-lobular screws are not only thread forming, but are also thread-locking. In that some material will deform into the flat area and thus prevent the srew from unscrewing itself. No lockwasher or Liquid lock washer is needed Widely used on plastic and die cast aluminum

Reply to
jmagerl

The particular non-round screws I have go into common sheet steel computer cases with holes already threaded. The steel was pressed in slightly so that the threads extend about 1/16".

Reply to
larrymoencurly

That really depends on where you get your cases. I have seen lots of unassembled new cases with just the holes stamped into the sheet metal. Those triangle self tapping screws are needed for these type of cases.

Mike

Mike Romain

that's called a pierced hole. often the screws are used which are available or cheapest or both, not necessarily the 'proper' screws. sammm

Reply to
sammmm