Non-mains heating

I wish to find out what heating solutions there are that don't connect to the mains electricity or gas supply. Something that could be used to heat a single room or so. I thought that there were oil burning heaters, but the ones I find online are generally large "permanent" heaters. Wood pellet burning stoves seem to need proper installation and a hearth. Are there any types of heating that are worth looking at? I would prefer something small and relatively cheap-ish, which can be plonked down in a carpeted room as a heater.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Propane or kerosene heaters are in wide use in the US. Here is one reputable brand:
http://www.mrheater.com /
Travis Jordan wrote:

I see you are posting from London. Perhaps this will be of use:
http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobileheater/index.htm
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

You are asking a lot. About the only thing I can think of, and would not want to use myself. would be a kerosene heater. They tend to smell, have been known to have CO problems and have been responsible for too many fires to make me happy.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0368572850.1153999970@@@@&BV_EngineIDhhaddigmmhehgcgelceffdfgidglm.0&MID76
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Get a porta-nuke heater
Thanks for the replies. After reading what you say and the links, I don't think a portable combustion heater would be a good idea.
I note that one website discussing Kerosene heater safety says the following
"Newer models are manufactured with numerous safety features, but operator errors such as using gasoline instead of kerosene, failure to provide adequate ventilation, fuel spills, etc. have resulted in numerous home fires."
Using gasoline instead of kerosene? Would this sort of thing qualify for the Darwin award?
you might be better with a single super insulated room with say 2 feet of insulation perhaps foam to minimizes losses.
still you need water sewer lines and prevent them from freezing and enough ventilation so you can live.
sadly theres no free lunch and wood pellets can be expensive...

"Mains" sounds UKsian. If an 8' cube has 2' of Styrofoam insulation with a thermal conductance of 6x8'x8'/(24xR5) = 3.2 Btu/h-F, a 300 Btu/h person could warm it 300/3.2 = 94 F. Then again, I bought a $10 pair of British Army surplus Arctic pants with 1" of padding.
A writer might enjoy a trash can with a tilting lid that would ignite balls of paper tossed into the lid, maybe something with a propane torch and a small chimney to the outdoors.
Nick

combustion heater... Try using people, as in "the matrix".

week I had to put gasoline in a pump, and every 6 hours kerosene in a heater. I am a bit surprised I didn't get them mixed up.
Kero containers are yellow, gasoline containers are red.
Blue for diesel.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I used a gasoline heater for years, but it required an exhaust.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Yea, but I have seen it done a few times around here. It is a sad thing to have happen.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Real small? Camping stove. Coleman type.
I can't remember where I heard this, but Coleman type stoves emit a LOT of carbon monoxide. Also charcoal pumps out monoxide.
Would not be safe to use indoors.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.