non-grounding version of receptable

Page 1 of 2
Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.
I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle. This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or suchlike?
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

You could also protect it with an upstream GFCI, and attach a little sticker that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND"
Where is this located? I've been running separate grounding wires to outlets in my old house when I replace them.
I think plugging the ground hole up with epoxy should be OK, but it would be the least desirable solution in my opinion. If this is in a bathroom, you would definitely want to and a ground wire and/or a GFCI.
Bob

I believe there are 'ungrounded' versions of receptacles still, just a little pricey.

Excellent idea!

This could be construed as tampering with a receptecle, plus installing a grounded recept into an ungrounded system can be a code violation, since you aren't following manufactures instructions. This means little with day to day operations, but I'm sure the insurance company will over look it should anything go wrong in the house and they find out you violated code and instructions. The insurance companies are your friends. :-P

Great idea.
later,
tom @ www.URLBee.com
On 12/15/2004 1:05 PM zxcvbob wrote:

The outlet is not near water -- it's in a closet -- and running a ground wire to it (the whole house is ungrounded, if I do it to one then I'll have this odd compunction to do it to all) is more than I want to trouble with. I can find ungrounded duplex outlets, all I need is an ungrounded receptacle/switch as described above and I'll have the whole set.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

A standard 2 part epoxy will do that just fine.
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

They make a combination switch GFCI on a single yoke that you could use in place of the switch receptacle. GFCIs are acceptable as replacements in outlet boxes that have no ground in the enclosure. You can see the device at http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catalog/default.asp?frame=body&screen=productdisplaybottom&productnumber 99-W&reckey=&ConnectRecKey=&RecKeyCompatibilityConnectI hope that helps -- Tom H
On 12/15/2004 5:57 PM HorneTD wrote:

http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catalog/default.asp?frame=body&screen=productdisplaybottom&productnumber 99-W&reckey=&ConnectRecKey=&RecKeyCompatibilityConnect= Thanks Tom. This is a non-Decora application. It's a three-gang box with two regular non-grounding duplex receptacles and one Leviton 5225 grounding-style combo switch/receptacle in it. I don't want to change out all the receptacles to accomodate one combination switch/receptacle in Decora style, I just want to find a non-grounding version of the combo part.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

You don't need to change the other recepticals, just the one and the cover plate. (You'll probably need to use sectional cover plates to get 1 decora and 2 duplexes)
I would have filled the ground hole of a new device with epoxy by now.
Bob
On 12/16/2004 8:15 AM zxcvbob wrote:

Nah - those sectionals look cheesy to me. Besides, I had to mail-order the 6-hole wall plate for the triple gang non-Decora setup and just got it yesterday. I ain't gonna throw it away now!

I don't know whether that will pass inspection when I go to sell the house down the road. I don't mind hunting for the part I want for a week or so.
As mentioned in my OP, I can't get the Leviton site to work for me. Does anyone have a print catalog handy to see if they have a non-grounding non-Decora version of their 5225 Combination Switch/Receptable?
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Cover plates that will accommodate two duplex receptacles and one decora device are available at any electrical supply house. You can also buy sectional plates that can be assembled into the combination you want at most home centers and comprehensive hardware stores. -- Tom H
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

On 12/16/2004 9:22 AM HorneTD wrote:

I'll be hornswoggled. Who'da figured? I might have to go that way, but the triple-gang six-holer non-Decora wall plate that I had to mail order arrived yesterday and is installed. I'd rather find a non-grounding non-Decora version of the Leviton 5225. Anyone got a print catalog?

I think those look cheesy.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

"Chip" found one in a Cooper catalog. Any electrical supply store should be able to order one.
Bob
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:38:52 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Just do it the old fashioned way. Get a grounding adapter.
http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/catalog/category_productsearch_result.cfm?UproductId 40&keywordapter&srch_categoryR5&Category_idR5
The Eagle combination switch is much better than the Leviton one.

I forgot one thing. The green ground lug fastens to the wallplate screw.

If you are intentially going to defeat the purpose of the grounding prong of a 3-prong plug, might as well save the money and go all the way. Cut off the ground. These adapters are ment for outlets that have a means of ground via the screw.
Because of people 'bypassing' the step you ensure you have a ground via the screw, these devices were made illegal in some countries.
:(
later,
tom @ www.URLBee.com
On 12/15/2004 10:27 PM JJ wrote:

http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/catalog/category_productsearch_result.cfm?UproductId 40&keywordapter&srch_categoryR5&Category_idR5 That won't do me any good: The box is non-metallic, there is no ground wire, and the wiring is simply Romex (or some earlier cloth-covered variation).
The problem is NOT that I have a two-hole receptacle that I want to convert to grounded. I am seeking a two-hole (non-grounding) version of the Leviton 5225 combination switch/receptacle in a non-Decora style.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Cooper lists such a thing as item 798B in Brown, 798V in Ivory. I'm seeing in in their PDF catalog; go to http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/catalog/pdf_cat.cfm and click on Switches, and see page 24 as Acrobat counts them. (Thanks to another poster for the link to Cooper's site.)
Chip C
On 12/16/2004 8:33 AM Chip C wrote:

http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/catalog/category_productsearch_result.cfm?UproductId 40&keywordapter&srch_categoryR5&Category_idR5

You da man, Chip! Many thanks!
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

squirrelman, jamb a pencil in it and break it off....done....<G>
On 12/16/2004 7:47 PM Chris Perdue wrote:

I could do that. But would it pass inspection when I go to sell the house. . . ?