NON-egress basement windows

I'm in the planning stage for finishing my basement. Bedroom, bathroom, workshop, library, office, storage, & fitness room. Michigan.

Am I reading the code correctly that each room excluding the hallways, storage & bathroom will EACH need a window >= 8% of floor space of that room? I understand the egress requirements ( & the necessity) of the bedroom window, but I'm unsure of the non-egress windows. That seems like an awful lot of windows. With the septic & pipes, the central air, the power main, the attached garage, the attached deck....there's not a lot of available wall space left to put more & larger windows in.

Currently there are 4 ground-level windows, 10"x30". Those windows are placed so that, even if enlarged, 3 rooms would still not have any windows.

Since I've never in my life been in ANY non-exposed basement that had large windows that let in plenty of light, fresh air, & the singing of birds, I'm wondering if I'm understanding the code requirements correctly.

Reply to
Darryl

i TJHOUGHT it was for sleeping rooms only, although local codes can vary.....

call local code enforcment officer and ask whats up

Reply to
hallerb

You may have some local codes that cover this and we'd not be aware of them. I've seen many a basement re-model with non-egress windows, but they are not bedrooms and that may be the big difference. Check with you local building inspector to be sure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You didn't finish reading.

You are reading the "glazing" requirements. However, if you continue to read, you'll find that, if artificial lighting is available, you do not have to have those windows. So, if you have electricity, don't worry about it.

For egress, the code says that basements with habitable space and ALL sleeping rooms must have an emergency escape and rescue opening (egress window or door). If you have a bedroom down there, that bedroom window will fulfill the code requirement for the entire basement (unless you have more than one bedroom).

That window must meet certain criteria. There is a minimum width and height of the opening that I can't exactly recall, but I think its 20" wide and 24" tall minimum. The net clear opening must be at least 5 square feet if on ground level and the sill must be less than 44" from the finished floor.

Shannon Pate

Reply to
Shannon Pate

This is the habitable environment requirement for "occupiable space", right?

IIRC, it should say something like: "Every room or space intended for human occupancy shall be provided with natural *OR* mechanical ventilation". and "Every room or space intended for human occupancy shall be provided with natural *OR* artificial light."

[Emphasis mine].

Which means that if you can get enough window, you don't need mechanical ventilation or artificial light, unless they're required by some other section of code. If you can't get enough window, then you have to provide for artificial light, and for mechanically ventilating the space. The rules for mechanical ventilation are in yet ANOTHER codebook, and are apparently non-trivial. Artificial light is pretty easy.

But I don't do this professionally, so ask your local jurisdiction.

Reply to
Goedjn

In the current Michigan edition of the IRC (2003), the applicable code requirement is R310.1.

Egress Windows. Basements with habitable rooms (living, eating, cooking & sleeping), and all sleeping rooms above grade, require an openable emergency escape and rescue opening. (If sleeping rooms are located in the basement, an egress window is required in each sleeping room of the basement, but not in the adjoining rooms.) The maximum sill height is 44 inches above the floor. The minimum openable window size is 5 sq.ft.; 24 in. min. height and 20 inch min. width.

Window Wells. If the window sill is below grade a window well is provided. The window well shall be 9 sq.ft. with a minimum horizontal projection of 3 ft.

Steps. If the window well is greater than 44 inches in depth, a permanently fixed ladder or steps are required (cannot interfere with window operation.) Ladder rung are 12 inch wide, 18 inch apart and project 3 inch min. from wall.

The requirement may seem over done, but the size requirement is to provide access for fire-fighters carrying all their gear, including oxygen bottles, access into the basement.

Reply to
PPS